Speaker Problem - HELP
    Tech Wizard

Default Speaker Problem - HELP

I found both of my speakers to be outputting different audio. My left spekers appears to lose bass, while the right speker apprears to gain some. When reading the audio internally, everything appears fine.

I have done some testing to try and find the problem of my speakers. I have recorded a song 'Larse - For Real' a Sqauare/Saw wave and a chromatic scale test to try and identify the problem.

During these recordings I split the audio to be L/R and swapped between the two to make it easier to hear the differents. Although the recording is in mono, it can be clear to hear the difference on good speakers/headphones.

The Chromatic Scale audio test is used to find bass problems in my room of which I appear to have many even after treating the side, above and back walls with Auralex Acoustic Foam. The foam is not specifically for bass, but I tested my room before I acoustically treated my room, and still appear to have the same bass problems, before and after the foam installment.

Both monitors have neutral settings.

Audio recorded using a Rode NT1-A microphone which was placed in my usual sitting position. Rode NT1-A was connected into an Audio Kontrol 1 audio interface which has phantom power.

Can anyone offer some help as to how I can fix this problem. Is it an acoustic problem? Are my speakers not neutral? Is one of the bass drivers damaged?

I would much appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction!
    Last edited by geddy; 01-11-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Tech Wizard

did you swap the speakers from left to right to see if its not the cables/soundcard?

Tech Wizard

not all speakers have the same sensitivity but yours seem a bit more dramatic than usual

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djkidmt View Post
    did you swap the speakers from left to right to see if its not the cables/soundcard?
    I have swapped the cabels as well as change the ouput slots on the soundcard and it makes no difference unfortunately.

Did you buy the speakers as a new matched pair or were they second hand? Also, it doesn't sound like a phase problem but you have done a phase check, yes?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Did you buy the speakers as a new matched pair or were they second hand? Also, it doesn't sound like a phase problem but you have done a phase check, yes?
    Both speakers were brought brand new. I have ran both speakers on their own with multiple different audio clips so does not appear to be a phase problem.

Tech Mentor

Reading through the responses it isn't clear to me if you swapped audio cables completely or just at the speaker connection. You need to to rule out your audio interface, which in my mind, seems to be the culprit as you lost bass in one while gaining in the other...

More troubleshooting:

-Have you physically swapped the left and right speakers to determine if the problem is the position of one of them?

-Is the problem reasonably consistent at all volume levels and are both monitors plugged into the same electrical source?.. it's unlikely, but sometimes low voltage can cause lack of bass problems.

A little note on acoustic insulation... that which is shown in your photograph is for frequencies in the upper mid-range and above. Bass waves are much longer and require a trap. You can make these on your own instead of spending $$$$ search "DIY Bass trap"

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mylestec View Post
    Reading through the responses it isn't clear to me if you swapped audio cables completely or just at the speaker connection. You need to to rule out your audio interface, which in my mind, seems to be the culprit as you lost bass in one while gaining in the other...
    I did swap both cabels as well as swap which output they come out of the audio interfance.

-Have you physically swapped the left and right speakers to determine if the problem is the position of one of them?
    I have just tested this and there does appear to be a result! From swapping the speakers over, there appears to remain a bass heavy response from the right speaker. I belive this is due to the lack of acoustic treatment behind and in the corners of the walls.

Can anyone recommend any quick fixes for this? I will eventually purchase from bass trappings.

To hear the results click on the link below:

-Is the problem reasonably consistent at all volume levels and are both monitors plugged into the same electrical source?.. it's unlikely, but sometimes low voltage can cause lack of bass problems.
    I will check this tomorrow and plug them into the same extension cabel as currently they are on seperate cabels.

You can make these on your own instead of spending $$$$ search "DIY Bass trap"
    I will be looking into this.

Cheers again for your response!!