Advice/Guides on Learning to Produce
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Advice/Guides on Learning to Produce

Ed. Produce music, ex. compose sorry forgot to add music to the title

I know everyone has their own methods but does anyone have any links/tips to general production stuff (and if more specific then perhaps w/ ableton or something similar)? I really want to start making music as well as playing it.

Ed.2 Essentially is there a DJTT for production lol?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

well what program or programs do you plan on using ?

Tech Guru

What kind of music would you like to produce? Who are your influence?

A good starting point is to learn how to copy your DJ idol. Try to make his top 10 musics and learn how to do it in every details.
    I never produced anything, but when i start I will try to copy some Psytrance DJs I like most...

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    What kind of music would you like to produce? Who are your influence?

A good starting point is to learn how to copy your DJ idol. Try to make his top 10 musics and learn how to do it in every details.
    I never produced anything, but when i start I will try to copy some Psytrance DJs I like most...
    That's a horrible idea . Not to mention most "idol" djs can't produce to save their lives and usually end up buying tracks from producers they like and end up stamping their names on the tracks they buy . Since you have a macbook start with Garage band and then check out some youtube tutorials

Tech Guru

I like so much, right now I would like to maybe produce something like electro or something that is minimal/tech house, or even drum & bass. I understand these aren't really similar at all, but these are the ones that interest me the most. I have ableton, and also have garageband, should I start with garageband just to avoid being distracted initially by all the bells and whistles in ableton?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

so get the main beat of some music that you really enjoy listen over and over again and try to reproduce that in any production software around. Then try to add some bassline and the rest of stuff...
    There are a lot of good videos at you tube, just put your software and your style as keywords and you will find plenty of these...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    That's a horrible idea . Not to mention most "idol" djs can't produce to save their lives and usually end up buying tracks from producers they like and end up stamping their names on the tracks they buy . Since you have a macbook start with Garage band and then check out some youtube tutorials
    He wants to LEARN how to produce something with software, I never said to him to copy, stamp his name and sell it again

I mentioned an "idol" DJ because of the repeating process of learning how to produce. To produce something you will probably repleat like a thousand of times the same beats and melody, it would be a pain to learn with some music that you don't like, or don't sounds good..

sorry for my bad english btw

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

http://www.tweakheadz.com was one of the most important resources when I was first getting into electronic music. Their forum is amazing as well
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    I like so much, right now I would like to maybe produce something like electro or something that is minimal/tech house, or even drum & bass. I understand these aren't really similar at all, but these are the ones that interest me the most. I have ableton, and also have garageband, should I start with garageband just to avoid being distracted initially by all the bells and whistles in ableton?
    Yes that's a great way of gettin started . It's definitely has a less intimidating interface than ableton . Getting the basics I'd recommend picking up one or all of the NI synths and watch some tutorials on youtube on progaming the sounds you like I know for a fact there's a tone for creating minimal and drum and bass . After a few months you can look into rewiring ableton into garage band and start easing yourself into the ableton environment. Or you can just jump head first into ableton .

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    He wants to LEARN how to produce something with software, I never said to him to copy, stamp his name and sell it again

I mentioned an "idol" DJ because of the repeating process of learning how to produce. To produce something you will probably repleat like a thousand of times the same beats and melody, it would be a pain to learn with some music that you don't like, or don't sounds good..

sorry for my bad english btw
    Ah man I'm sorry I come off as a prick sometimes . I always forget about the language barrier you can get in here sometimes .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast