1 song per CD Vs 2 songs per CD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default 1 song per CD Vs 2 songs per CD

Question for a the CDJ owners out there that still use or have used actual CD's.

Did You burn one song per CD or two songs per CD?

Weighing the pro's and con's right now and the one problem that keeps on poping up is what happens if you want to mix a couple of songs that are on the same CD. I'm sure this could be solved with great orginization, but for the sake of conversation I'm seeking input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
    Kinda sounds like a big hiss then boom boom wacka wacka boom

I used to burn lots of tracks to a single CD (sometimes up to 150 if I was using MP3 compatible CDJ's) and quite often burn two identical CD's. This not only eliminated the problem of wanting to mix tracks from the same CD, it also served as a handy backup if one CD got scratched or broken, as you always had a backup to play / copy again.

However, if you are going to burn lots of tracks per CD, make sure you have a good idea of what tracks are on it, as CDJ's often have no Traktor-esque search feature!

If I knew I was playing a specific set for a gig, I used to work out a set-list prior to the night and burn the tracks alternately over two discs. (e.g. tracks 1,3,5,7,9... on disc 1 and tracks 2,4,6,8,10... on disc 2). This means you don't have to mess about changing CD's and the next song is just a button away. It goes without saying though that this method is useless if your not using a pre-planned set.

If your only burning one or two tracks per CD, you will be burn a fair few discs per set!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Mentor

Couple of good ideas there. I may just end up burning two songs per disc and then duplicate that disk.

I'll be using lightscribe so and I have a pretty good idea as to how I'll be organizing the library.

I was burning 6-8 tracks per CD. Depended on lenght of track.

I just don't see a point of burning 1 or 2 tracks per CD, becouse when i have 80tracks on 10 cd's for a gig, you have 40 cd's...

With my method, I saved more time on writing cd's, saved time for browsing collection, saved space in cd bag, saved money for new cd's or tracks.
    SoundCloud
    Mixcloud
    Progression on TFB-Radio
    Pioneer CDJ-100, Pioneer DJM-250, Technics RP-DH1200

use a hard drive?
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    use a hard drive?

This is exactly what I'm trying not to do. Just sold most of the DVS equipment.

I use MP3 CD's so have around 40 songs per CD. I write on the CD the type of music (House, Commercial, Club, Techno etc), the estimated time for that type of music (Start of night, Warm Up, Mid Set, Main Set, Classics, Test Tracks), Month. I usually make a duplicate and i work between the two.. Next month i will do the same and so on.

Two weeks later i will make another MP3 CD with numerous 'New' tracks full of various stuff. The CDJ issue doesn't bother me as i only use CDJ 1000's/2000's.

Tech Guru

I usually burn about 8 tracks a disk. I will sometimes duplicate tracks on multiple disks if I know I use it a lot just in case I want to play 2 songs that are on the same CD. That's when I use CDs also which isn't very often anymore.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

why only 1 or 2 tracks per cd? what benefit (if any) does this give you? Or looking at it from another angle what disadvantage does it give you filling the cd with tracks?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

i used to do 10+ tracks to cd and make two copies of each cd

(i sure don't miss the days of all that cdr burning...)
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast