Is the S2 TRULY portable when playing with other DJs?
    Tech Mentor

Default Is the S2 TRULY portable when playing with other DJs?

Hey guys,

for the short term I'm thinking about buying the S2 (I currently have an S4) for club use. In the coming future I mayb be playing a few nights where I'm playing with multiple DJs who use TTs or CDJs. I really like using my gear and what I want is a small controller that I can just mount on a laptop over one of their CDJs/TTs, plug and play.

Does anyoe think the S2 is good enough for that or is there any other professional grade USB style controller I can look into (besides Twitch..I wasnt a fan of it)?

thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    Hey guys,

for the short term I'm thinking about buying the S2 (I currently have an S4) for club use. In the coming future I mayb be playing a few nights where I'm playing with multiple DJs who use TTs or CDJs. I really like using my gear and what I want is a small controller that I can just mount on a laptop over one of their CDJs/TTs, plug and play.

Does anyoe think the S2 is good enough for that or is there any other professional grade USB style controller I can look into (besides Twitch..I wasnt a fan of it)?

thanks for the info!
    IMO options for professional portable controllers are:

S2
    VCI-400 (which is the same size as S2)
    x1 with mixer (traktor external)
    Twich
    VCI-100 + Audio 2 etc (SE)

I'm torn between S2 and VCI-400 as my next purchase at mo.

Good to invest in laptop stands which make taking controllers into booths realistic. I have two (check my set up pics in sig for an idea)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Default Re: Is the S2 TRULY portable when playing with other DJs?

Hey guys,

thanks for the info!
    Dont put a controller on top of a cdj/turntable...

my opinion. no

Honestly even tho i'm a traktor connoisseur i find it a pain in the ass when guys rock up to jam with us with all in one controllers when we already have cdj's, turntables and my x1's shoehorned on the table. usually the only option is to put the TT cover on and let them set up there. Dont get me wrong, gear like the s4/s2 etc are badass, just not practical for gigs unless you are the main act. i just rock up, slide the crane under a cdj and squeeze 1 or both x1's beside the mixer
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

[QUOTE=MaxOne;413613]IMO options for professional portable controllers are:

S2
    VCI-400 (which is the same size as S2)
    x1 with mixer (traktor external)
    Twich
    VCI-100 + Audio 2 etc (SE)

I'm torn between S2 and VCI-400 as my next purchase at mo.
    /QUOTE]
    wait the 400 is the same size as an s2?1 that defintly just turned me off of it since having to much to close(aa vms4) is not always fun..

loving my s2 alot small and portable.. take it one the plane all the time with me and fits over head no problem.. added the x1 and defintly dig the modular set up more then the s4 ever did..
    Macbook Pro - Kontrol S2 - Kontrol X1 - Traktor Pro 2 - Fool’s Gold x AIAIAI TMA-1 (for gigs) AKG 271hd (for studio and recording) on the way: DJM 800 with 2 CDJ 2000s
    THE SET UP

Yeah it's more cramped than s2 obviously but so many more options

The spacing of s2 is a real nice touch though.

I agree s2 + x1 = niceness
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

I don't see why you would (i certainly couldn't really afford to) buy an s2 when you own an s4 just because there's not a lot of room in the booth. the s4 isn't that big and your laptop can't be massive - it's a lot less wiring then say serato/traktor boxes connected to cdj's/TT's plus it's easier to do.

Not sure i agree with the post about it being annoying when people rock up with there all in one controllers when they already have cdj's/tt's in the booth - THERE NOT THE SAME ! and i was under the impression this was a forum for digital djing

As a recent convert to traktor it's different setting up - you didn't have to before but the s4 does keep it simple.

I also have an iPad - didn't buy it for mixing as i had just bought the s4 but i knew it had capabilities and have set it up out of curiosity. The reason i mention it - it is an extremely small and portable wireless dj controller - worth considering if you have one or any iphone's, ipod touches or android devices you already use as these can be used as an extra controller/control surface.

Also if you are a promoter and are there when the sound engineer sets up using the ipad as a wireless controller to walk round the room testing levels, eq etc with the sound engineer is pretty sweet

what? is the vci 400 and s2 same size?

52cm wide?

I would save so much space switching my decks to vci400 that I could use another corner in my apartment for mixing.
    cdjs+ djm = 96.7cm.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beijer View Post
    what? is the vci 400 and s2 same size?

52cm wide?

I would save so much space switching my decks to vci400 that I could use another corner in my apartment for mixing.
    cdjs+ djm = 96.7cm.
    The s4 is only 50cm wide

Tech Student

I have played with just about every type of set up. Bringing the S4 to a gig is no harder than any of the others. Being that you only need a place to plug into the mains makes set up easy. If you have to unplug a CDJ as a last resort it's not that hard to switch without stopping the music.