Bitwig announces Ableton Live competitor
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Bitwig announces Ableton Live competitor

bitwig.com

I think they were started by some guys who left Ableton, and they announced Bitwig Studio. They're apparently close to a limited public beta, which I've signed up for just out of curiosity. And it claims Linux compatibility. Cool.

This is the screenshot I'm excited about:

Window Sets in Pro Tools and Logic are insanely useful workflow tools, and Ableton has been missing them. That alone makes it worth considering for both production and live performance IMHO. Well…it will once people see whether it's stable or not.

It looks like Ableton Live with a few UI tweaks and workflow elements stolen from other DAWs (I see some FL Studio and Pro Tools influence). Oh, and a metadata-based browser.

I'm pretty sure that I won't be purchasing it, but people might be interested.

that looks really cool.

I mean yeah it looks like an ableton ripoff completely but I still might have to check it out. It kind of looks like it adds everything I want to ableton while still keeping a familiar feel.

Hm, does look quite nice. Like you said, all the elements look familiar from one program or another, but what the hell, I don't care who copies from whom as long as the product is good. Signed up as well....

Edit: The multiple-user thing they announced for later revisions sounds particularly interesting, me thinks.
    Last edited by 3heads; 01-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Guru

If that screenshot implies that you can have the arrangment and clip view open at the same time on two different monitors then that would be cool....looks almost identical to ableton but the arrangement view does look more like FL style.

For me though, I'm still learning alot of the inner features an tweaks that I can do in ableton. Alot of that stuff is on the web or on youtube, so not having tutorials in this new program would slow my progression down alot I feel. Still, if i can use it as a beta for free I'll see how much i like it, maybe they will have some cool new instruments or midi effects that ableton doesn't

Can someone link me to the beta sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukks View Post

For me though, I'm still learning alot of the inner features an tweaks that I can do in ableton. Alot of that stuff is on the web or on youtube, so not having tutorials in this new program would slow my progression down alot I feel. Still, if i can use it as a beta for free I'll see how much i like it, maybe they will have some cool new instruments or midi effects that ableton doesn't

Can someone link me to the beta sign up?
    Yep this is my thinking as well. Ableton just has so many resources, amazing tutorials, and support already.

The one reason I would consider this is I have a feeling a lot of this stuff will be identical to ableton. But really which DAW I use probably is the last thing holding me back in production. Having clips and arrangement in two monitors is pretty huge and I like the look of arrangement in this better.

I kind of just wished they would integrate some of this stuff in Ableton 9, and finally add automation curves like every other DAW.

http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Wow this looks really incredible actually

after the 1.0 release

-Multi-user music production over the internet
    Multiple users can compose music on the same document from different locations. Bitwig Studio keeps everything in sync.

-Native modular system
    Create your own instruments and effects or modify existing ones. Design their appearance and share them with the world.

Basically looks like a native max for live type thing built right into the software

the devices look very cool and clean- kind of looks like ableton meets NI aesthetically

Arrangement clip launcher- it's like a hybrid. very cool.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Looks pretty interesting. Subscribed and hoping for a beta

I hope they don't get shutdown with a lawsuit from ableton since they are pretty much disgruntled ex ableton employees and it looks so similar. I'm sure ableton would have a blast in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I hope they don't get shutdown with a lawsuit from ableton since they are pretty much disgruntled ex ableton employees and it looks so similar. I'm sure ableton would have a blast in court.
    I'm pretty sure they will have checked legal issues beforehand, I mean apparently they have been working on this a couple years - everything else would be way too stupid
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast