At a crossroads...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default At a crossroads...

Ok, I'm going to apologize in advance and say that this is going to be a long post, and that it is indeed going to be another "what gear should I get" thread (so if you have mad GAS, I wanna hear from you!). With that said:

I've been DJing approximately 6 months with 2 Numark NDX400s and a Behringer DDM4000 which I recently acquired. I feel I have outgrown the CD players, and am looking to upgrade. Here's the kicker(s) though:

I would like to integrate Traktor in some way.

I do not want to go with a full controller setup (i.e. I want to be able to mix music manually without software if need be).

I have only used CD players, never TTs.

I am looking at two options at this point: The first is replacing my CDJs with two Audio Technica LP120s and Traktor Scratch Duo, making a full DVS setup. I'm not opposed to TTs, and I think it would be a cool experience. I would probably add in an Akai LPD8 to control sample decks and looping down the road as well. However I've never mixed with vinyl before and I have no vinyl records, so I would most likely have to hang onto my CDJs and put them on Channels 3&4 in case something goes amiss.

The second is 2 Numark NDX900s in MIDI mode running Traktor Pro 2, with outputs 1&2 going to Traktor and then 3&4 handling standard analog mode. It would be a familiar setup and I feel it would be the safe way to go, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd be able to take this setup to a club to use their CDJs (assuming I ever got the option...)

I guess the other option would be to not sell the CDJs and just get Scratch Duo. But I've heard that there's not much point in using timecode with CDJs; if someone has a contradicting opinion on this, please share because I haven't heard it yet.

If you guys have any other ideas please throw em out there, because I'm really unsure on this.

EDIT: Budget is approx. $700 USD, and I'm using a black MacBook from 2008.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

I'd start by changing your DJ name there's already a Sunshine, one half of dubtribe sound system and an established DJ and producer.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Your right Sunshine there is not a whole lot added to using CDJs with DVS you add another controller into the mix to handle cue points and Traktor effects though and you could get a little more creative. You could also map the mic and sampler side of the DDM4k to control these. You could even map the crossfader section if you don't use it for mixing. Doing the latter would be fine for home but a second controller will be a little more club friendly. I'd be inclined to look at the midi fighters to do so only to help support This site.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by suit View Post
    Your right Sunshine there is not a whole lot added to using CDJs with DVS you add another controller into the mix to handle cue points and Traktor effects though and you could get a little more creative. You could also map the mic and sampler side of the DDM4k to control these. You could even map the crossfader section if you don't use it for mixing. Doing the latter would be fine for home but a second controller will be a little more club friendly. I'd be inclined to look at the midi fighters to do so only to help support This site.
    I have looked at the Midifighter, and I do like it I was just really tossing the LPD8 out because it was pulled up in a tab and the first one I thought of. You think just doing Scratch Duo and a controller would be the way to go then?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

Option 1 appeals most to me. If you 're even just curious about TTs and vinyl, make the switch partially, keep relying on what you already know, but explore new territories. I did it like this and never looked back.
    (When looking at turntables, buy nice or buy twice, vinyl playback is delicate proper TTs and needles are a must!)

AKAI LPD8, yes, just yes. I've been looking at it as well, but a midifighter is also epic. I haven't decided yet. And whatever you do later on wich DJ or production set up with software you have, extra buttons always come in handy. But those knobs look a bit too tiny for cranking them at a gig.

One (maybe the only ) advantage to timecode cds is that you could then start using software to dj with your exsisting gear. Once you've worked with that a little bit you can probably make a more informed decision on how to change your setup to suit your workflow.

And yes, the lpd8 is awesome.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    One (maybe the only ) advantage to timecode cds is that you could then start using software to dj with your exsisting gear. Once you've worked with that a little bit you can probably make a more informed decision on how to change your setup to suit your workflow.

And yes, the lpd8 is awesome.
    I'm thinking that as well, and it would also be the cheapest immediate solution to working with software. I can always add TTs later on for the full DVS experience. You guys saved me from putting myself in the poor-house, I thank you

I'm one of the ones that thinks that using a DVS with CDJs is stupid, but there are a lot of people who disagree with me.

Here's my question: what do you find limiting about your current CDJs? What makes you think you've outgrown them?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'm one of the ones that thinks that using a DVS with CDJs is stupid, but there are a lot of people who disagree with me.

Here's my question: what do you find limiting about your current CDJs? What makes you think you've outgrown them?
    Mainly the looping function. I feel there could be so much more I could do with on-the-fly looping, and while the loop function is seamless, the tracks will get out of sync if the timing is not absolutely perfect. It drives me crazy, because I think of all these ideas to do with the looping and sample deck ideas, and I can't do em.

There ya go! Dvs and a set of dicers, you're set!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast