Gigaport HD

Thread: Gigaport HD

Default Gigaport HD

I was looking to soundcards for performing with Ableton and I saw this Gigaport HD USB Soundcard.I wont be djing that much maybe once ore twice a month for some friends gigs.My plan is to hook it to the clubs sound system.
    http://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaporthd/
    I read the under $200 soundcards thread,it looks just like Maya44 but I have a few more question?
    1) How reliable is this card? I dont want it to be useless after 2 or 3 gigs.

2)How is the Sound quality and level,any problems when runing effects?On the sound clip they were almost the same but I dont want it to be quiet.

3)Are there any software or driver issues?Any problems w/Vista?

4)for the $100-$150 range what other soundcard would you recommend?
    Thanks

Hola

I have one which I use on my macs at home and out, the sound quality is great my only gripe is the quality of the case if your plugging in to a club system the plastic case is a little delicate you have to be careful. Other than that it's a great and cheap little soundcard.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
    Hola

I have one which I use on my macs at home and out, the sound quality is great my only gripe is the quality of the case if your plugging in to a club system the plastic case is a little delicate you have to be careful. Other than that it's a great and cheap little soundcard.
    I agreed with u m8!!
    I had Gigaport for the last 5 months and i was using it with Live and Vista: no probs at all during these 5 months considering I did around 8/10 gigs..
    The only reason I'm not using anymore is because i got myself an A8 Dj...
    Anyway i would def recomend the Gigaport
    Hope this was helpfull

Tech Wizard

Any more information about this Gigaport? I am worried about spending money on it and it being a piece of crap.

definitely not a peice of shit. ive had mine for about 6 months now and never had a problem. outputs are loud enough, and i cant compare it to the ni soundcards, but compared to my old soundcard, the djio from numark, it sounds much cleaner. i use mine in one of 2 ways, mixing internally with a vci, outputting one set of outputs to the main, one to the monitors and one to my phones, or mixing externally using a 4 channel mixer. i am quite keen on using the external mixer because i can use all 4 channels quite easily, and since i do not use timecode, no inputs are neccesary. only problem with this setup, i would say, is recording a mix, but i do that using another computer anyways. cant say about the compatibility with vista and tpro, but it works flawlessly on my xp machine and traktor 3.4. hope this helps...

This card sounds good. No issues so far running vista sp1 and 2. As the shmobletons said above, you'll need to find a way around recording your mixes - I use another pc for that like he suggested.
    Something worth mentioning as well is the headphone outs. You're stuck with :
    *A channel 1/2 output - you guessed it, only your first stereo pair.
    *A "mix" output of all the four channels blended together (which has a very slight hiss on mine - doesn't really matter, it's not very useful anyway).
    No volume control for any of the outputs on the interface, you'll have to set this in the Gigaport control panel.
    If you want to mix externally, you'll have to monitor from the mixer.

Finally, although you may find it advertises 24bit/96khz playback, this is with two channels only.
    The alternate modes are 24 bit/48khz on six channels, 24 bit/44.1khz on six channels and 16bit/44.1khz on all eight channels.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 09-23-2009 at 02:43 PM.

I would recommend a A8 Dj. You get what you pay for and if you want something reliable these guys will do the trick

Tech Guru

damn this soundcard is showing up for 100 dollars, if only it had a firewire interface, then it would get teh buy.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO