Territory Restrictions in the new Beatport
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Territory Restrictions in the new Beatport

Hey guys, after the last thread on here asking about the territory restrictions on Beatport, I wanted to see if my old guides to get around them still worked. After all, Beatport has gone through a major interface change since my last article, and who knows what they implemented. The good news is that it looks like it's even easier to get those tracks than it was before.

To make things realistic, I also limited myself to public free proxies. If you run up against alot of restricted tracks, I still recommend getting a proxy service. But I know alot of you aren't willing to go THAT far just to pay for a track that's restricted in this manner.

THE TOOLS:

Firefox Web Browser - http://www.mozilla.com/
    Firefox has the best tools for cookie management, and the plugins are sweet.

FoxyProxy - http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/
    I've used SwitchProxy before, but there are some interesting options in this plugin that help us get a better experience.

And a PayPal account set up and ready to go (just in case).

Alright. Let's get to it.

After digging around, I found a track that was restricted to me here in the US that I actually wanted to buy. It's DJ Boris - The Breaks 2009.

Awww, see how sad it looks there all lonely and unpurchased? Bet it would look sadder on a music blog, but that's another story. Let's pick the lock.

First thing we need to do is take note of the artist, title, and label. This is important if we're going to find a working proxy. Log out of Beatport and let's go to http://www.discogs.com/ . This is a great resource for all music, and we're going to use it to find out where the Duplex label is located.

Wow... there is almost NOTHING on that label. There's a hit in the Czech Republic and another in Norway. DJ Boris is from Russia, so that's the right ballpark. But this is a good example of a "worst case" scenario. Usually there are a ton of hits for any given label. OK, at least I have an idea of where I should be looking for a proxy now. So lets get to that.

Load up http://www.samair.ru/proxy/ . This is a list of free proxies. Even though it's filled with CoDeeN proxies (which are mostly un-usable), this list has been lucky for me. So I load up the page and right there in front of me is a proxy in Norway.

If you installed FoxyProxy, you should have a little icon in the bottom right corner of Firefox.

Click on FoxyProxy to open the Options. Click the ADD NEW PROXY button on the right. The first tab (GENERAL) will let you give the proxy a name. I just called it "Beatport". Make sure ENABLED is checked as well.

Now go to PROXY DETAILS. Go to the MANUAL PROXY CONFIGURATION and in the HOST OR IP ADDRESS box, put in the IP address of the Norwegian proxy we found (77.88.66.251). Now fill in the port (8000).

Now go to the URL PATTERNS tab. Click ADD NEW PATTERN. Let's call the pattern "Beatport". In the URL PATTERN box, put "*.beatport.*".

Tech Guru

Why are we doing this filtering? FoxyProxy allows us to "proxify" traffic based on these filters. Since I don't want to get in the way of the ancillary sites that Beatport relies on (like buybutton.net/cybersource.com for payment processing, or Google), this filter lets me be selective about who gets the proxy. Using filters means that I no longer have to open IE while Firefox is proxied if I need to look at something. Press OK, then CLOSE to get back out to the browser. Now, let's test the proxy to see if it's working.

Right click on the FoxyProxy icon in the bottom right corner of Firefox and select "Use proxy "Beatport" for all URLs".

Now load up Google. the page is going to take a long time to load, because proxies are slow. But if it's working you should see something like this...

Nice! That means we're working. Let's make some quick changes before we go to Beatport again. First, let's now set FoxyProxy to use the filter instead of a blanket proxy. Right click the icon again and select "Use proxies based on thier pre-defined patterns and priorities".

Now, lets clear out all Beatport related cookies. In Firefox, click TOOLS, then PRIVACY. Go to SHOW COOKIES. This will open up a small box showing all the cookies currently stored. Type in "beatport" and clear ALL of those cookies.

Now do the same for "buybutton", then press CLOSE, then OK. Now we're ready. Navigate to http://www.beatport.com/ . Be warned - this is a SLOW process given the size of Beatport and the speed of the proxy. But if Google loaded in a timely fashion, you're probably OK.

If it looks like it's getting stuck on a part of the loading (like the "initializing" screen), try clicking one of the genre buttons at the bottom of the screen or reloading. Eventually you should see the interface load.

Now, here's the cool part. Right click on FoxyProxy and "Completely disable FoxyProxy". That's right! There's no more multiple checks against your IP like there was in the old Beatport. It sets your session ID when you first load up Beatport and that's you for the rest of the session.

DON'T log in yet. Let's look for our song again...

So we got the country right! I was worried about that. Log in, then click the BUY button for the selections you want to grab, click your crate, and check out.

Now here's the iffy part. If you forget to unload the proxy before checkout and try to use a credit card, the transaction will be declined. If you see that you've been declined (and you still have money in your account), use the PayPal payment option instead.
    Last edited by nem0nic; 04-05-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Tech Guru

And there it is. Now let me dispel a couple myths. First, Beatport doesn't at any time look at your account information as a location check. They do what's called a reverse IP lookup. That is why the proxy solution works.

When you load up Beatport (even if you don't log in), they set a cookie that tells them what country your computer is from, and that is your country for the entire session. This works out well for us, because we no longer have to endure the slow proxy for the entire session - just long enough for the cookies to be set. At that point we can unload the proxy and enjoy a normal session.

Just because you're able to get around one proxy doesn't mean that you've beaten them all. If you have restricted music from multiple countries, it's likely that you're going to have to end your session, unload your cookies, and begin a new session using a different proxy to access those songs. If you're after music from many different areas, it might be a good idea to write down the music and try to group them according to area.

Proxy lists are generally bad. You get alot of trash. Only experience will tell you what the good candidates are on a given list. But there are also other reasons why proxies don't work for some people. Some proxies don't pass signed content (like CoDeeN/ PlanetLAB), which will stop your Beatport session before it starts. I usually avoid proxies using the port numbers 3124-3128 for that reason. If Google loads fine proxied, but Beatport won't load at all, you probably have some filtering going on and need to find a different proxy. If Google and Beatport load fine, but your song is still territory restricted, then you have a proxy in the wrong country. Do a little more research on the label and artist.

I hope this helps some of you guys out. For more information, I have a couple older articles in the DJ Information section of my website - http://www.nem0nic.com/ .

Cheers!

Tech Mentor

thank you...

Half the time I find a territory-restricted track on Beatport, I just head over to traxsource.com or resonantvibes.com and buy it with no problem, and usually for less. I ain't beggin' nobody to take my money.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Tech Guru

good shit man. this sort of stuff is so tarded. damn zoning.

Tech Wizard

great advice... just one question... are you sure that it still is a valid purchase if you have bought it muxing about with proxy's?
    My point is, could beatport ever say "hey, we have found out that you have bought XX songs using fake ip-adresses and therefore we will mess your shit up"?

And yes, the zoning thing is fucking retarded.

yea i was wondering the same thing? if i bought this in the 'wrong' territory, surely its unlicenced, making it an illegal copy? if thats the case ya may as well just pirate. i guess you could argue that at least youve given the artist some money, but id argue that the artist doesnt really want money from people from outside the territroy. can someone please explain how that works?
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Beatport turns a blind eye to this sort of thing - They hate the territory restrictions as much as we do (probably even more).

Nice write up Neomonic !

Tech Guru

Yeah, I've really scaled back on my purchasing from Beatport for the same reasons - it's much easier to buy the track from somewhere else. But I wanted to provide an option where someone can at least TRY and be above board if Beatport is your only option for a track.

As far as the legality of it, you've purchased it and have a receipt for the track. I can't see anyone raising a fuss. The fact is that even if it were to be an issue, it's not like Beatport can reach into your email and get that receipt back. And there's no centralized authority to report to. So you're safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast