Starter dj needs help with finding affordable dj gear. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

I just got a VCI-100 for $300 new on amazon, but you can get them used for much cheeper (look in the buy/sell forum). Yes, it's been discontinued, but personally I like it more then the version that just replaced it, and it's a very tested controller with a huge following here. you will need a separate soundcard, but for the money, I dont think it can be beat. There's a ton of info on it in the blog here, and here's the link to the new one on amazon.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vestax-VCI-100-Controller-Platter-Controls/dp/B000OI1M3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326608249&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Vestax VCI-100 USB MIDI DJ Controller with Platter Controls (Silver): Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dCFXPiQqL.@@AMEPARAM@@51dCFXPiQqL[/ame]
    VCI-100se (FW1.4 upgrades soon), DJ I/O, White MacBook, TP 2, Ableton Live 7

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Patel View Post
    I just got a VCI-100 for $300 new on amazon, but you can get them used for much cheeper (look in the buy/sell forum). Yes, it's been discontinued, but personally I like it more then the version that just replaced it, and it's a very tested controller with a huge following here. you will need a separate soundcard, but for the money, I dont think it can be beat. There's a ton of info on it in the blog here, and here's the link to the new one on amazon.
    Amazon.com: Vestax VCI-100 USB MIDI DJ Controller with Platter Controls (Silver): Musical Instruments

It's the same exact thing as the Mixtrack Pro.. Except without the Soundcard.

I think Mixtrack won this one.
    I don't really look the look on it as well, looks till silvery to my opinion.

But I'll think about it, Thanks.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    if you have a vdj pro licence I would get the standard mixtrack and an audio 2 soundcard.. same price as the mixtrack pro but better sound quality.
    Thanks, Could you post a link of a good quailty one that's cheap?

Tech Mentor

The VCI-100 is in a different class compared to a Mixtrack, which works fine but is definitely a budget controller. Get a Native Instruments Audio2 for the soundcard, and you're set.

Tech Wizard

$399 plus Tax and Shipping is out of my league.
    I wish, I can't spend that much. I simply don't have it.
    I'm 14 almost 15.
    I'm earning literally nothing.. My neighbor pays me $25 To do her drive away once in-awhile since her husband has a Hernia.

Anyways -- I really like that MixTrack.

DJQA - Thanks for being so informative. However, is the MixTrack compatible with Traktor?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedonot1 View Post
    I'm 14 almost 15.
    I'm earning literally nothing.. My neighbor pays me $25 To do her drive away once in-awhile since her husband has a Hernia.

DJQA - Thanks for being so informative. However, is the MixTrack compatible with Traktor?
    Mate the mixtrack is okay for bedroom djing but if you ever want to play out you need something sturder. If i was you id get the vci 100 off ebay

Joe

Plus there's a great free mapping which dj tech tools put together a while ago with continued support, just look in the mappings tab.

Tech Wizard

Well, I'm only gonna do probably a few live. and 90% in my room.

Lemme say this. Is there any other good affordable DJ Controllers out there?

I always try to tell people, figure out what software you are going to be using first (if you're going to be using a computer in your setup).

After that, take a look at the available options for controllers for that particular software that you want to use.

After that, apply your budget to what you like. If you can't afford something, save up a little more to get what you really want.

There is nothing worse than having to rebuy and resell gear in my opinion. Don't get something you won't be happy with for at least as long as you can save up to get something different.

As others have said, I'd look at the Mixtrack Pro. The one with the included sound-card. The thing about that, as opposed to having the separate sound-card... is that it's Serato DJ Intro compliant. Which means free software basically. It's also very viable for other software choices.

Otherwise, you can find some really good deals on stuff here on the forums (the buy/sell section) and through craigslist and ebay.

I waited about two years before I finally bought the setup I wanted. Given I would have gotten it much sooner, but I lost my job for 6 months right before I was about to pull the trigger on getting some gear after spending about a year saving and doing my research. So I'm a bit biased toward the "wait and get what you want, and don't regret what you get" view.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kedonot1 View Post
    I'm 14 almost 15.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. As we're talking about a big chunk of your savings, the question is - is this something you want to plunk your money into? If yes, and if you're serious, you would do well to buy something that is built well and will last you a long time - so you won't have to waste new chore money buying another cheap controller.

My advice? Don't settle for the "budget" stuff, it will be more expensive in the long run. Save up a little more, and get a VCI-100 and an Audio2DJ, both second hand. If you buy new, a lot of the gear's value is lost the second you open the box.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast