What's a reasonable "upgrade" for my system?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What's a reasonable "upgrade" for my system?

Okay guys, I have about $1000 to spend (Can lean more/less) and I was wondering what a reasonable "Upgrade" would be for my current setup?

I have the following:

Sound:

2 RCF-312A's
    2 Yorkville LS720P's
    1 Vestax Typhoon
    1 Behringer XENYX 1204USB

Lighting:

1 American Dj Micro Galaxian Laser
    1 American Dj Vertigo Tri Led
    1 American Dj Dual Gem Pulse

And a very small strobe and another laser that does the same effect as the galaxian, just a little less bright

And of course my buddies windows-based laptop.

I was wondering what a reasonable and worth it upgrade would be? My ideas were maybe the NS7, Macbook Pro, or upgrade my sound and save a little more for a pair of the PRX 625's from JBL. Thoughts?

Tech Mentor

you do not need a MBP to be a DJ. so get out of that mindset.

personally i don't like the NS7, if you are constantly doing gigs where you have to bring your own sound system then save up and get some QSC K series speakers. by far the best sub/ speakers i have ever heard for the price range

Spend it all on quality tunes. Get the best tracks from the last 20 years.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

Would the QSC pairs be worth the upgrade? I mentioned the macbook because it seems more stable for gigs, but since you mentioned that , we can toss that option out.

I mentioned the PRX 625's because I feel as an upgrade if I added a pair of those , then I could fill large halls better with fullrange sound with my LS720P's for added bass response.

In response to SirReal: I have a large collection of digital music dating back to about the 90's.

Why not add two more art 312 rcfs and they are at least the same and maybe better quality than jbl and qsc, they go for a pair under 1000 dollars now and with 4 you cover probably more then 2 jbl's. For example when you are in the mobile dj business, its always handy to have back ups and in situations where you have to cover two rooms or a wedding ceremony outside and then the reception inside.

Or you could invest in uplighting and charge extra for your lights.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

If you are hosting meduim size parties of around 100 people get a haze machine for your lighting and a couple of par cans, keep saving for a better controller. you have reasonable sound so lights will really make the party.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 01-15-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Convert

I have a "Fog" Machine (Forgot to mention). The American Dj Fog Storm 1200HD. Not too sure the difference between that and a Hazer.

just noticed that fixed

hazer is a much finer myst, that doesn't taste like shit and make it hard to breathe, also being a finer myst it dosent block the light beams so they travel further, it runs all night on a low output and hangs in the air much longer than oil based fog...
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Convert

I see. That seems like a possible upgrade. See, I typically Dj Middle School / High School dances and house parties seem to pop up all the time. However, in the larger gigs such as the High School dances I'm always driving myself into just-before limiting.

My lights are pretty entry-level but they get the job done. Which is why i'm leaning more towards a sound upgrade. (That and the fact I have to nearly limit my equipment in situations) I came across the JBL PRX 625's (Heard them before too, liked them) and they seemed nice, for dual 15's. Thoughts?

The Hazer does seem like a good option though.

I think prx 15 inch is overkill with your subwoofers, then go for the 12 inch.

Or go for the rcf art 322 for the long throw better for bigger rooms
    Last edited by souldancer; 01-15-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast