Eqing- tips/tricks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Eqing- tips/tricks

Hey!

I've been bedroom DJing for a year now and my mixes aren't sounded great because basically I haven't a clue how to EQ correctly! Can someone please help me out with this? I've been watching some videos on youtube and there helpful to a point but I need someone to explain it a bit better when EQing in the mix etc.

Next, tips/tricks, what do you guys do to make your mix different? any advice for me?

I want to get out playing bars/clubs soon but I haven't got the confidence yet and my mixes are ropey as hell. I really struggle to get a nice continuous flow.

help?:confused

Eqing tips and tricks differ depending on your mixing style. Are you a quick cut kind of DJ or do you mix for long sustained periods?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

I like to keep tracks in the mix for a minute or 2.

Well aside from the obvious and basic idea of turning down the bass of the incoming track an swapping the bass mid mix, one of the things I like to do set the eq's of the incoming track so that track is sonically similar to the currently playing track. It makes for smoother transitions. I also tend not to ever boost frequencies and only cut them unless a particular track is poorly encoded or anemically mastered.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Do u mess around with the HI and Mids?

Sure. Often times the high hats of an incoming track may be too bright or clash with the master track so I'll cut them a bit. You should keep in mind that EQing goes hand in hand with overall level of the track too. Do you use the crossfader or the line faders to mix? I use only the line faders unless I'm doing quick cuts and then I'll use the crossfader. My mixer has parametric EQ's which allow for really being able to dial in the exact frequencies of kicks or hit hats and manipulate them accordingly to what I'm intending for a mix. Since you like to do longish mixes, you should strive for a mix where the listener can't tell when you've dropped your next track.

I first read this thread title as a mispelling of "edging tips/tricks", which is something as unrelated as it is difficult.

Don't be afraid to experiment in boosting mids and highs once in a while. When I am trying to isolate a hi-hat, lead melody, or a vocal in transition, sometimes one or two ticks up on the mid or high have helped me get it.

I've never been in a situation where I've had to boost low unless the track is mastered/mixed/encoded horribly, so that "wag of the finger never boost your EQs rule" sort of still applies.

Dont go past 12 O'Clock.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    Dont go past 12 O'Clock.
    at all? ever?

Tech Mentor

Do u guys have any tricks? I regularly watch the pioneer DJ sounds show to get ideas but the stuff there doing on that is bonkers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast