Xone:DB4 - Marantz PM-80 and KRK RP 6 G2? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Just read xones comment and ill detract my krk comment as i dont own them so cant say for sure. But many monitors ive heard dont really need a seperate sub for purposes imo.
    It's a matter of perspective I guess, once you have a sub with the monitors you will never go back.

The KRKs can go down low but they are still [kind of] flat response and boring for DJing.

You can add a sub in and crank it up however much or little you want and have sound that is full and actually has some sub bass and is fun to DJ with. Especially since I don't want to have to blast my entire system and can play it at reasonable volumes and still feel like I have a good amount of subbass. In my opinion I don't think any pair of studio monitors with no sub is a good choice for DJing.

I have two pairs of KRK RP8s and two 10s subs for DJing and production.

On my DJ setup I have the sub level up half way and it fills my apartment with deep sub bass and is a lot of fun to DJ with without having to crank it up that much.

For production I have the sub tuned way down and calibrated so the response is as accurate and flat as possible and can bypass the crossover/sub with a foot switch to just hear things out of the Rokkit 8s and it sounds boring for just listening to music in comparison.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 01-15-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    It's a matter of perspective I guess, once you have a sub with the monitors you will never go back.

The KRKs can go down low but they are still [kind of] flat response and boring for DJing.

You can add a sub in and crank it up however much or little you want and have sound that is full and actually has some sub bass and is fun to DJ with. Especially since I don't want to have to blast my entire system and can play it at reasonable volumes and still feel like I have a good amount of subbass. In my opinion I don't think any pair of studio monitors with no sub is a good choice for DJing.

I have two pairs of KRK RP8s and two 10s subs for DJing and production.

On my DJ setup I have the sub level up half way and it fills my apartment with deep sub bass and is a lot of fun to DJ with without having to crank it up that much.

For production I have the sub tuned way down and calibrated so the response is as accurate and flat as possible and can bypass the crossover/sub with a foot switch to just hear things out of the Rokkit 8s and it sounds boring for just listening to music in comparison.
    good point.. i do need my monitors up loud to get nice low sounds..

If you want to use krk rokits with an amplifier,
    you should buy the passive ones:
    heres the link
    http://www.thomann.de/se/krk_r6_rokit_g2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I don't disagree about the sound quality but you just said that he won't need a subwoofer with a DB4. The Rokkit 8s sound pretty lame and hollow for DJing (with a DB4) without a sub and he was looking at Rokkit 6s. Sound quality is better but it doesn't make a big enough difference that subwoofers are no longer needed.
    I have the Rokit 6s with no sub and they sound fantastic. They do drop off in the very low bass region (I am thinking 60Hz or so) but what is there is very clear and punchy. I am looking into getting a sub but I don't need it by any means. I supposed if you're only mixing dubstep with sublow frequencies these monitors could be frustrating but I disagree that they sound "lame and hollow." I suppose once you get the sub though it's hard to go back.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12