Xone:DB4 - Marantz PM-80 and KRK RP 6 G2?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xone:DB4 - Marantz PM-80 and KRK RP 6 G2?

So in March/April I'm finally getting my Xone DB4! I have a MacBook Pro and the Traktor Kontrol X1, so the things that are missing are monitors/speakers. Now I'm doing a lot of research, and I think that the KRK Rokit-serie is good enough for me. I'm not an audiophile and I just want to have good bass (it's just for home, you know; for producing I will pick other speakers) for the neighbours . I'm still going to listen in the shop itself and choose then, though, so maybe I'll end up with others than KRK's...

But now my question is, if I pick active speakers, I'll have a build-in amplifier, right? But the thing is, my father has a Marantz PM-80 from the year 1989 or something. It's a big ass amplifier and it gives really good sound (it weight is like 15 kg?). But, I'm confused.

1. Should I connect the speakers to the amplifier, or straight into the DB4? Because they already have a build-in amplifier. Does the music sound 'better' when the speakers are connected to the amplifier, or doesn't it care?
    2. This is the back of the amplifier. Please help me out! I'm just 20, so this mixer is older than me... I see that the KRK's has RCA, TRS and XLR connections. How the hell do I connect these to the amplifier?
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Yes each Rokit speaker has it's own amp (active). You can connect each to the 'Mix Out' on your mixer.

Your other option is to find some passive monitors that you can connect to the amp

Keep the Marantz amp regardless, it's a good bit of kit.
    Last edited by herlsy; 01-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.

You definitely don't connect powered speakers to an amplifier...

If you want good bass you need a subwoofer- no exceptions, rokkits are monitors and flat(ish). If you get the sub you can just turn the subwoofer up and make it sound more like what you would expect.

I would get either KRK or Yamaha monitors in that price and either one you get you really want to add the subwoofer for DJing.

Tech Mentor

You won't need a sub with the db4, it pumps out loads of bass. I previously had a djm800 and needed a sub for the deep bass but since I got the db4 I haven't needed it on. Stunning mixer, the isolator eq mode is just a joy to use and sounds head and shoulders better than the pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bob View Post
    You won't need a sub with the db4, it pumps out loads of bass. I previously had a djm800 and needed a sub for the deep bass but since I got the db4 I haven't needed it on. Stunning mixer, the isolator eq mode is just a joy to use and sounds head and shoulders better than the pioneer.
    Hahaha

I'm a huge DB4 fanboy but it's not going to churn out deep subbass out of nowhere if you don't have a subwoofer. It's not magical.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 01-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Tech Mentor

Not kidding at all mate. The db4 puts out substantially more low end bass (and a better sound in general) than the pioneer and I'm no fanboy of either brand in general.

I'm not saying that you can't get a deeper bass WITH subs, of course you can but in my studio it isn't nessesary now...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bob View Post
    Not kidding at all mate. The db4 puts out substantially more low end bass (and a better sound in general) than the pioneer and I'm no fanboy of either brand in general.

I'm not saying that you can't get a deeper bass WITH subs, of course you can but in my studio it isn't nessesary now...
    I don't disagree about the sound quality but you just said that he won't need a subwoofer with a DB4. The Rokkit 8s sound pretty lame and hollow for DJing (with a DB4) without a sub and he was looking at Rokkit 6s. Sound quality is better but it doesn't make a big enough difference that subwoofers are no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    You definitely don't connect powered speakers to an amplifier...

If you want good bass you need a subwoofer- no exceptions, rokkits are monitors and flat(ish). If you get the sub you can just turn the subwoofer up and make it sound more like what you would expect.

I would get either KRK or Yamaha monitors in that price and either one you get you really want to add the subwoofer for DJing.
    I'd throw the JBL 2325 monitors into that consideration as well. Arguably better sound quality for the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Just read xones comment and ill detract my krk comment as i dont own them so cant say for sure. But many monitors ive heard dont really need a seperate sub for purposes imo.
    It's a matter of perspective I guess, once you have a sub with the monitors you will never go back.

The KRKs can go down low but they are still [kind of] flat response and boring for DJing.

You can add a sub in and crank it up however much or little you want and have sound that is full and actually has some sub bass and is fun to DJ with. Especially since I don't want to have to blast my entire system and can play it at reasonable volumes and still feel like I have a good amount of subbass. In my opinion I don't think any pair of studio monitors with no sub is a good choice for DJing.

I have two pairs of KRK RP8s and two 10s subs for DJing and production.

On my DJ setup I have the sub level up half way and it fills my apartment with deep sub bass and is a lot of fun to DJ with without having to crank it up that much.

For production I have the sub tuned way down and calibrated so the response is as accurate and flat as possible and can bypass the crossover/sub with a foot switch to just hear things out of the Rokkit 8s and it sounds boring for just listening to music in comparison.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 01-15-2012 at 10:26 PM.

If you want to use krk rokits with an amplifier,
    you should buy the passive ones:
    heres the link
    http://www.thomann.de/se/krk_r6_rokit_g2.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast