Ortofon cartridge question
    Tech Mentor

Default Ortofon cartridge question

Hi,

Just one thing that was bothering me for some time now but I haven't found a real answer:

When using stylus from one ortofon cartridge another, what quality of sound will that bring ?

I have Concored Pro cartridges (silver ones) but decided to buy Pro S stylus' (black ones) as they were cheaper. And it works and I presume it has lower quality of sound as black ones are lowest (cheapest ) cartridges and stylus'.

But if I would decide to buy more expensive stylus like Electro or Nightclub and put it on Pro cartridge , would it have better sound or cheaper cartridge would prevent it from having sound that those stylus should bring ?

Hope I managed to explain what I meant exactly.

Any help is appreciated.

I understand what you're asking, and I've wondered myself. I have Elektro's at the moment (love the white) and they sound good. I have spares as well, but I was wondering down the line in a pinch what the sound quality would be switching it up if needed.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    I understand what you're asking, and I've wondered myself. I have Elektro's at the moment (love the white) and they sound good. I have spares as well, but I was wondering down the line in a pinch what the sound quality would be switching it up if needed.
    Actually , I googled a bit and found out that all cartridges are the same except colors, and that you can put more expensive stylus (arkiv or dj or eletkro for example) on pro s cartridge !

Useful to know. I will paste source later when I'm home.

now that's good to know....i've learned something about cartridges today

Looking forward to reading that link.
    The output level on my silver concorde pros is a little low (even with my spare needles, only used for twenty track rips at most).
    Very interested in knowing whether putting on louder needles will carry over without swapping the entire cart.
    Even further, I could see myself buying an Arkiv needle for ripping purposes...

edit : I read about the S120 being designed differently, so that might be an exception to this empirical rule, depending on whether the alleged engineering changes are all in the needle or the entire cart assembly. Not that this one is particularly interesting to me anyway.

Tech Mentor

Yep they are the same. I've been mixing the needles and carts for years. Currently I'm using elektro carts and needles. Then nightclub needles for ripping. Works great and more fidelity is noticeable with the nightclubs.

What about the output power ? I chatted with the hardware guy at my record shop and he seemed to say that came from the concorde cart itself and not the needle.
    I don't have extra carts and needles lying around, all concorde pro here, so I'd have put this to the test in a second.
    We'll agree the elliptical needles have better fidelity, that's for sure. Somehow doubt the 8mv of output power (vs the pro's 5mv) will carry over as well. I'd ask you to compare signal level, but the elektro is 7.5, so the difference may not be very obvious anyway..

edit : check this thread on the serato forums. possibly mixing carts and needles works well, with a few caveats (ie doesnt' work that much better with a basic pro/pro s)
    Last edited by bumtsch; 08-08-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Tech Mentor

The sensitivity (gain) seems right on Par with the 2 needles.