Totally New to this, Need Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Totally New to this, Need Help

Hey, I have always loved music with a good beat such as techno, dubstep, trance, and hip hop. I am looking into making some remixes of my favorite songs. About a year ago I messed around with a friend's tractor pro program on his laptop and had a great time with it. I am looking for a simple set up that I Can mess around at home and maybe at a house party if I get good enough. I already have a decent speaker system, an Onkyo surround sound receiver(if that can be used in any way) and good pair of headphones. What is a good dj software program? What else would i need? I read some things on google and is a "controller" what I need?

Is these some other equipment that a beginner would need? Are one of these something I would need?

M-Audio Torq Xponent USB MIDI DJ Controller
    Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2

Thanks for yalls help,
    Sorry for the noob questions

Take a look at this.

Native Instruments Audio 2 Soundcard. Great little interface and it also comes with the LE Version of Traktor.

At around $120 USD its a small investment to get you started. You can always upgrade to the full version later on and add controllers when you can afford them.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply. I was really looking into something that had the two turntables and ways to control the software other than using a mouse.

Well, if you were to make an investement in some gear what would your budget be? I recommmend downloading the demo for traktor anyway, you can do that from just going on the native instruments website.

Tech Convert

I actually think i can get my Buddie's copy of tractor pro off of him. He hasn't used it in a year. That will save me some money. As for my budget I am thinking $300 or so optimally. If i can get something alot better for $500 I wouldn't be opposed to spending the money.

Tech Convert

I will definitely check that traktor demo out in the meantime. Thanks for the advise

Wait about a month before you decide on a controller. NAMM is coming up there will be lots of new toys coming out. New Complementary controllers from A&H & NI and maybe even something from DJTT.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I am looking into making some remixes of my favorite songs.
    Can someone explain that there is a difference between production and DJing, and software/gear needed is totally different.
    Do you want to perform live or create tracks ?

I would def. go with the S2 if your looking for something with two decks. I got mine on ebay for a little over 500 and it comes with traktor pro. Great product. def. worth the money.

Tech Convert

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! To answer your question I am more interested in performing live than actual recording. I found out for sure that I can get a copy of the tractor 2 pro software.

The traktor kontrol s2 seems like a solid product. Is there something cheaper out there that I can get of the same quality since I already have the software?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast