Who here does weddings? Need some advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Who here does weddings? Need some advice

So last fall I did my first wedding ever, I wasn't super stoked on it and it was for a family friends in a small town, I felt very unprepared and since they're family friends I never set a price cause I didn't know what to charge. They ended up paying me $500 which was a shock and they told me that was pretty much the cheapest competition they found. I couldn't believe it, based on what I've seen from wedding djs I wouldn't pay anymore then $200 dollars, at least where I'm from (side note my cousin also paid around $1500 for her wedding dj).

Anyways the point is I realized I can do a much better job then the guys I've seen here. I was outraged when I heard how much my cousin paid because the guy was not djing. So I've decided to jump into that scene and actually do a damn good job and blow away the competition.

So getting more into this I feel like there is a lot of new ground to cover. Transportation costs, lighting, speaker setup. For those of you who do weddings is there standard lighting and speakers that you always use. Do you rent? Is it smarter to buy lights? I'll have more questions but for now I'm in class and also need to focus haha.

Tech Guru

Also how do I legally protect my equipment?

Wedding DJs charge that much not because of mixing skills. There is travel expenses, equipment, insurance(vehicle, equipment, liability), advertising, phone, set up and take down, appropriate clothing (suit or tux) etc.

Alot also have a website where you pick the music you want for your wedding from a list and that is what they will play as well as requests for Cupid Shuffle and Electric slide etc. And some weddings may want country music. Essentially you are the bride an grooms and guests jukebox.

The other part of it is the MCing the event. Announcing the couples entrance, giving the mic to a best man for his toast, announcing the cake cutting etc.

All the above is why they charge what they do.

Now to your original question. Some charge for different set ups. They will have 2-3 levels of equipment they will bring and set up, and prices that reflect how much equipment they will set up. The more lights and speakers, the more they charge.

You could start off renting untill you make enough to purchase your own which should be your goal. That way you are making the money from the equipment instead of some one else.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 01-16-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Also how do I legally protect my equipment?
    Insurance. I have also heard of some that have a contract that says the person hiring you is responsible if a guest damages any equipment. Not sure how all that works, but cover your bases so in the event the worst happens, you will not lose out.

I say they etc., because I am not a wedding DJ. Like you I have done a couple of small weddings for friends. I have shopped for and hired some as I have been married 3 times lol. I also run 2 small businesses and know a little about that aspect of it.

I forgot to add in my first post business licenses & accounting. To be profitable, you need to cover everything you have to pay for in your fees.

There was a thread on this a while back, google search DJTT forums for it.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 01-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Tech Guru

Ya I thought in terms of having a few different price points depending on what your looking for. I also figured that filling requests wouldn't be too bad since I could just have wireless connection through my phone and download request through iTunes. This will also require a lot more music as well. Van gogh do you personally do weddings?

I always thought about venturing into that market sine on average can charge 800 and after a few gigs would pay for all your equipment. I always thought buying your own lighting and sound would be best since after 4 gigs would likely cover initial costs.

I would assume could talk to an insurance brokers and insure your whole setup and based on some weddings I've been to wouldn't be a bad idea.

Side note I found more expensive wedding djs offer pa system for ceremonies ad such so might consider some wireless mics and likely be good to have a way to record as if they are having video they may like having a direct feed recorded for the crew doing it.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone

Alot have several external drives containing each genre the previous poster nailed it the head you are a jukebox so have lots of everything and like said make sure to get an ideas from couple on what kind of music is expected from you

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Van gogh do you personally do weddings?
    Thread is moving like a chat lol. I edited my post above.

Well I for one always considered it prior to having kids now I don't know if I could work into my schedule but always peaked my interest. Plus would be cool to do it to cover cost of equipment and then could do some killer outdoor party's

Tech Guru

When I first started djing I gagged at the idea of ever doing a wedding. But looking into Lon term it's growing on me. After all I do like playing oldies I definitely couldn't play in a club. There's very easy money in it, but as I was telling my gf being rich to me isn't about money. Rich to me is being in control of your time and being able to choose to work or not. If I can do a few weddings and comfortably pay bills and put food on the table and have more free time then money then I'll be a happy man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast