Techniques to make your mix feel more consistent
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Techniques to make your mix feel more consistent

So the question I've had the last few weeks that I've been playing with my new S2 is how do a lot of DJ's keep the music feeling consistent and continuous through a lot of songs. I'm not specifically talking about the transitions between the songs but I'm more wondering how they keep the back beat of the music consistent? Like when you're dancing it doesn't feel like the songs are changing too much, I understand that this is done by mostly keeping the BPM in the same range so there isn't a huge change in the tempo of the music but that's only a small part of it, there's definitely other stuff that's being done. Do you usually just have a sample loop of a drum beat playing in the background to give it a consistent feel? Sorry if this is a really basic question, I'm more used to being on the other side of the DJ table listening and dancing to the music rather than mixing so I'm just wondering how most people go about it.

Just good, smooth mixing and awesome track selection.

The only technique that will get you there is practice.

Tech Wizard

Alright, thanks, yeah I've been practicing but I'm getting the feeling that my music sounds more bland? I guess compared to some mixes that I hear, and it's not the selection of songs even when I play the same songs or similar ones there's just something that's lacking in my mixes that makes them feel less lively.

Drop us a 10 minute mix and let people have a listen. Don't worry - we'll beat the trolls down to a bloody pulp (well I won't but my people will).
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

be subtle and make sure everything you do is on beat and/or respects the phrasing

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    Drop us a 10 minute mix and let people have a listen. Don't worry - we'll beat the trolls down to a bloody pulp (well I won't but my people will).
    That's a very good idea, I don't know why I haven't done that yet, I'd probably get the most constructive help if I had someone listen to my mixes. Thanks!

Default Techniques to make your mix feel more consistent

Make sure when one tracks "main" part ends the new track "main" part is beginning alot comes down to timing. Sorry tried to explain as straight forward as possible... What genre are your mixing?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    phrasing
    This. Song selection and the structure of the tracks. Start to count beats and notice when songs make changes. If you phrase your songs correctly it will seem like the beat is always there and each subtle change will bring in the new song.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

If you want a quick mix to hold or boost the energy you want to let the track have its peak, then 32 or 64 beats before the breakdown start mixing the highs then mids of the next track, then at the end of the breakdown you slam in the new tracks bassline, It's all about track selection but if you get that right changing up the bass boosts the energy.

That said you don't want to mix this way for a whole set as it is annoying, sometimes you just need to let the music play, and fight your adhd urges to add effects they kill the atmosphere unless executed subtly.

back to mixing when you dj long enough you will just know when to mix from cues producers put in their music, I do it when it feels right. but the fastest way to get good is use your ears and not your eyes to mix, don't be afraid to use the eq's to their full potential. Finally don't mix with your head, it's cheesy as hell but mix with your soul go, by what feels good and gives you a buzz when you are doing it, that feeling is what you will get paid to give to your crowd, not your ego, not your haircut, just a good time.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 01-16-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    If you want a quick mix to hold or boost the energy you want to let the track have its peak, then 32 or 64 beats before the breakdown start mixing the highs then mids of the next track, then at the end of the breakdown you slam in the new tracks bassline, It's all about track selection but if you get that right changing up the bass boosts the energy.

That said you don't want to mix this way for a whole set as it is annoying, sometimes you just need to let the music play, and fight your adhd urges to add effects they kill the atmosphere unless executed subtly.

back to mixing when you dj long enough you will just know when to mix from cues producers put in their music, I do it when it feels right. but the fastest way to get good is use your ears and not your eyes to mix, don't be afraid to use the eq's to their full potential. Finally don't mix with your head, it's cheesy as hell but mix with your soul go, by what feels good and gives you a buzz when you are doing it, that feeling is what you will get paid to give to your crowd, not your ego, not your haircut, just a good time.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but as I am a beginner dj too, is there a tutorial how to use the eq's? I somewhat understand lows but I don't have a clue when to use mids and highs. I probably actually don't understand lows as I usually just use it to kick the bass up or turn the bass of one track down when Im mixing another song.

But anyway, I don't understand how to set eq's to different songs. Like when you should change it, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast