Needle Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Needle Question

Default Needle Question

Ok so i just got my first set of vinyl turntables after being at it for about a year and a half now, and i have a question about needles/carts sorry if its a stupid question. Whats the diffrence in a OM Needle and just a "regular" needle? \

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ORTOFON-CONCORDE-NIGHT-CLUB-KIT/dp/B00164EUVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326839809&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: ORTOFON CONCORDE NIGHT CLUB 2 KIT: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qONCJ2CqL.@@AMEPARAM@@41qONCJ2CqL[/ame]
    vs
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-OM-Nightclub-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B000T9K6AQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1326839809&sr=8-8"]Amazon.com: Ortofon OM Nightclub II Single Turntable Cartridge: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419uJo36oxL.@@AMEPARAM@@419uJo36oxL[/ame]

thanks

From the looks of those two pages, the OM is not installed on a headshell, so you'll need to do that yourself, while the others are on "Concorde" style headshells (which I personally detest but a lot of people dig them). Also, the OM is only a single cart whereas the others are for a pair, but you probably already knew that.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

more info from Ortofon: http://www.ortofon-dj.com/en/faq

1.5. Is there a difference between the OM and Concorde series of cartridge?

The sole difference between OM and Concorde cartridges is the housing and contacts found on the cartridge. Whereas the OM range requires mounting onto an appropriate headshell, the Concorde range conveniently attaches directly to the tonearm. There is no difference in sound between the two ranges, within the respective series of cartridge (ie OM Elektro versus Concorde Elektro, etc).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Nevermind. You beat me.
    Last edited by killerfanatics; 01-17-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Better answer above.

this is exactly what i needed to know, thanks a ton guys!
    Last edited by Otacon; 01-18-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Tech Mentor

it's also worth pointing out that the OM version of a cartridge is going to be cheaper than the respective concorde variant.

the concordes have two advantages: (i) they install faster and easier; (ii) it is pretty much impossible to mount a concorde the wrong way, whereas some will install an OM (or other headshell-mounted cart) incorrectly. not that it's hard but, for headshell-mounted carts, you'll need to use the technics overhang gauge or a cartridge alignment protractor.

Yeah I noticed the price difference that's why i came to the pros for knowledge. Whoa, that last part kinda blew my mind...overhang gauge? I'm using a pair of Technic 1210's

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    it's also worth pointing out that the OM version of a cartridge is going to be cheaper than the respective concorde variant.

the concordes have two advantages: (i) they install faster and easier; (ii) it is pretty much impossible to mount a concorde the wrong way, whereas some will install an OM (or other headshell-mounted cart) incorrectly. not that it's hard but, for headshell-mounted carts, you'll need to use the technics overhang gauge or a cartridge alignment protractor.
    khm. I only used Concordes until now, but now I'm gonna go for some cartridges that need mounting on headshell (prolly m44-7 or m35x). I have never mounted it and I certainly don't have 'overhang gauge' or anything similar so will I screw up my cartridge (or headshell) or can I do it without ?

Help is appreciated.

Tech Mentor

guys, the technics overhang gauge is included with newly-purchased technics 1200s. it is used to make sure that the cart (and hence the stylus) is positioned such as to minimize tracking-angle errors. this is not necessary on a concorde cart, as those have a fixed stylus position relative to the tonearm. (ortofon designed the concordes such that the stylus position is best for 1200s.)

you can purchase a new technics overhang gauge for $5 or so at places that sell replacement parts for technics.

as an alternative to the technics overhang gauge, cartridge alinment protractors can be used. these are essentially calibers or stencils. (sorry my english isn't perfect--i'm looking for the correct english word.) note that these protractors are tonearm-specific. ortofon and other companies manufacture protractors appropriate for technics tonearms. they go for ~$10.
    Last edited by rgtb; 01-18-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    guys, the technics overhang gauge is included with newly-purchased technics 1200s. it is used to make sure that the cart (and hence the stylus) is positioned such as to minimize tracking-angle errors. this is not necessary on a concorde cart, as those have a fixed stylus position relative to the tonearm. (ortofon designed the concordes such that the stylus position is best for 1200s.)

you can purchase a new technics overhang gauge for $5 or so at places that sell replacement parts for technics.

as an alternative to the technics overhang gauge, cartridge alinment protractors can be used. these are essentially calibers or stencils. (sorry my english isn't perfect--i'm looking for the correct english word.) note that these protractors are tonearm-specific. ortofon and other companies manufacture protractors appropriate for technics tonearms. they go for ~$10.
    Is it really necessary? Can I mount M44-7 without any gauge or alignement protectors ?

Just screw it onto the headshell and connect the wires ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast