TIPS for selling your track to a LABEL

Default TIPS for selling your track to a LABEL

Hey guys,

Just a basic question. To those of you who've had the chance to get your track recognized by labels, do you have any advice? Did you learn anything about the DO's and DON'T's?

I've been producing for about a year, and 2 labels are interested in putting one of my tracks on Beatport. Obviously, this sounds pretty awesome, but what do I know, I'm naive I guess haha. I don't want to rush into it without knowing what it all means. And I sure don't want to get dicked over in the end.

Any tips or things to watch out for when selling your track to a label?

This is a very good question. I'm by far not at this point yet (congratualtions dude!) but I reckon it's worth an article on the blog actually...
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

+1 on making an article on that.

(also congrats Mario, and good luck!)
    www.maxdfunk.com

Gear: S4 mk2, bass guitar, disco ball.

The number one thing you do is read your contract cover to cover and understand it.
    If theres a get out clause in there they'll do you over at the first sign of some money.

If you dont understand it, ask them what it means or take it to a solicitor thats versed in this field.

Just make sure you have a legal comeback if something goes shitty. Ive heard many a story of people getting boned by unprofessional labels.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Nice one!

I am not sure how it works these days, but I know in the Psy circles, they pay you once off for a track. Its then theirs.

I would make sure that I get a decent cut of the money from the track and that the label advertises me well.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

congrats dude. big up.
    Like my page on facebook: JERC

Follow me on Soundcloud: JERC Music

Follow me on Twitter: JERCmusic

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    The number one thing you do is read your contract cover to cover and understand it.
    If theres a get out clause in there they'll do you over at the first sign of some money.

If you dont understand it, ask them what it means or take it to a solicitor thats versed in this field.

Just make sure you have a legal comeback if something goes shitty. Ive heard many a story of people getting boned by unprofessional labels.
    Totally.

I'm not sure about other genres but I've got a fair bit of experience dealing with dnb labels (both vinyl and digital). Personally, I think you're better off going for a big label that won't pay anything than a small label that will pay you something (although ideally you want a big label that pays!).

The reason for that is because unless you've written a tune that's gonna sell over 5,000 units then you're unlikely to make much money, if any. But, if you get yourself on to a reasonably decent label, you could easily make more money in one or 2 dj gigs because promoters are more likely to pay you better. I used to look at releasing tunes as a way of increasing my hourly rate as a dj, rather than making money directly from the release.

I had a few tunes out and never worried about contracts - I was reasonably fortunate when it came to getting royalties but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the advice and congrats. Hypothetically... If I sell my track to a smaller label and a few months down the line, a bigger label is interested in it, can they still buy it? Or does the smaller label own the rights to the track forever?

The smaller label owns the rights forever, usually. Its in the contract you will have to sign.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog