Seriously considering selling everything…
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Seriously considering selling everything…

Well…almost everything.

Tell me if I'm insane.

I don't want to get into a controller vs. old-school debate, because I do respect what controllers provide people. But after a couple years, I'm starting to really think it's not for me. I don't spin at home at all anymore, mostly because I hate setting and editing beat grids.

Seriously…I hate beat grids. I hate them worse than Bruce Willis hates mayonaise. I've finally gotten to the point where it's worth the money just to have my pitch faders back.

Anyway, the short-term goal would be to get my old vestax repaired or replaced (with an Empath or another Vestax of some kind), sell my xone, controllers, and sound cards, find a pair of used 1200s, find a used SL1…and stop.

Why SSL as opposed to TSP? Vinyl scroll. The one thing I'd actually want an X1 to do with TSP, SSL does with vinyl. I've bought and sold it twice, and I still think it wins the DVS arena unless you're doing a lot of controllerist shit that doesn't appeal to me. If I want hot cues or loops, I'll use doubles.

Long term, I'd probably want to add an MPC 1000, Octatrack, or MC-909 (or something like it). I'd use Maschine except that it can't control tempo more precisely than full BPM adjustments. And eventually, I'd like to just have a pair of CDJs and a pair of 1200s and kick the laptop out of the booth entirely. I suppose I could map two knobs on Maschine's midi mode to Ableton and use that just as a more precise clock…but that seems really overkill.

And, no, I don't plan on using Rekordbox beat grids either.

The funny thing is that I'd essentially be going straight back to the setup I started spinning on, after years of experimentation, plus a groove box as my 3rd deck instead of the loads of other things I tried (which ranged from a 3rd 1210 to a full Ableton Live rig).

Realistically, I'd probably not bother bringing the DVS out anywhere. Controlling a DVS with CDs is stupid, and while a lot of the places I'd spin have turntables, it would be easier to just bring USB keys and a groove box…plus a few pieces of vinyl just 'cuz why not.

I said it once before, but sync is literally killing my love of DJing. And it's not because it's cheating or too easy…I don't buy into that crap at all. It's because setting beat grids fucking sucks.

I never want to set another beat grid in my life.

Thoughts?

Do it. Name of the game is having fun and you aren't having fun.

Out of curiosity what do you use the groove box for? 3 rd deck with your own loops?

Sure man why not, if you're not enjoying it on traktor then make a switch. If you're not enjoying it I don't really see the point of doing anything unless you DJ for a living.

I have to say I don't really understand the fuss some people have with setting beat grids since traktor auto gridding works 90% of the time and when it doesn't I can delete the grid and fix it in under 10 seconds while DJing.

Tech Guru

I'd do it man. I don't have the same enjoyment on any controller than I do on turntables or even CDJ's. I also enjoy the streamline approach to SSL much more. I just got a Tascam XS-8 on ebay for 150.00 bucks and 1200's can be found cheap. Same for an SL1 box (but I'd probably dish out and get an SL2). It's small investment and you can always add the X1 to your set up for loops, and SSL effects which aren't half bad.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Actually you probably hate beatgrids since you use small deck mode to DJ with and can't see them. I mix in normal deck mode unless I am using DVS and feel like beatmatching then I don't want to see waveforms or anything. When I load a track into normal view I can instantly see if a beatgrid is off and it is quick to fix it, I guess you can't tell in small deck view and would have to switch to another layout just to get access to the beatgrid menu and edit it so I could see why that is annoying and you set your beatgrids beforehand. For my workflow there is no reason to even really bother.

I definitely have more fun mixing with DVS so I can see why you want to switch, and I kind of liked SSL for pure DVS a little better than traktor.

Wait hold up "Bruce Willis hates mayonaise"

His elderly years are gona suck without a cucumber mayo sammich for afternoon tea

In regards to ya post though.

I would say to do what ever brings happiness and enjoyment to you. It is really an easy answer. Well unless $ is an issue. If in which case it is then find a way to make it enjoyable, otherwise you will end up resenting it all together like an old ex girlfriend.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Yes. You should. There's just something about two turntables and a mixer pretty much beats anything else out there. There is nothing in between you in the music, which is probably the best part of it all.

Tech Guru

It's not your job - it's your hobby. You have hobbies because they make you happy. Do what makes you happy.

FWIW, I don't understand the emphasis you're placing on beat gridding. I've probably gridded about 100 of the 4000ish songs in my active directory, and it's never been an issue. Use the grid to get you close, finger it in the rest of the way manually. If you see that your track analysis is off, tap a new tempo and you're done.

It doesn't need to be a big part of your preparation - especially if you're DJing for fun.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Go for it if you feel it will bring the fun back.

Tech Guru

Wait for maschine update for a more precise bpm....you know its coming.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast