novation impulse thoughts please
    Tech Guru

Default novation impulse thoughts please

I am thinking of getting a novation impulse 49 key midi keyboard. My questions are as follows how good is novations automap. and what experience have people had with this keyboard

Novation automap get mixed responses, you rather love it or hate it

I am personally part of the hate category but i can see why some people would like it, its just not for me

Tech Guru

what is it you dont like about it and what do you think people do lik about it

Well i own a Novation Nocturn that never got used at all because of automap.

A bunch of the buttons on the device were dedicated buttons for the automap software and i could not use the buttons to control anything inside of traktor (thats what i was using at the time).

Also i find setting up my own toggles (modifiers if you will) to be far more effective than using the toggles built into the controller - this is coming from an advanced users perspective mind you, some people who dont know what they are doing will find it great because it easily allows them to do mappings they wouldnt have been able to do otherwise (which is great for them im not knocking that).

Hence why i think automap is a bit of a dual edged sword

Come to think of it, Ean did not think much of the nocturne or the automap software that came with it at the time either in a conversation that we had.

Tech Guru

I am a pro when it comes to mapping traktor. however I would be using this exclusivly for ableton and possibly bitwig in the future. I am really in two minds about this I know im either guna love it or hate it. ps never done any mapping in ableton appart from the basics

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    I am a pro when it comes to mapping traktor. however I would be using this exclusivly for ableton and possibly bitwig in the future. I am really in two minds about this I know im either guna love it or hate it. ps never done any mapping in ableton appart from the basics
    Mapping in ableton is ez sauce, so ezsauce it can be very very limiting unless you can rather right python live control scripts or have M4L and do mappings though that.

I also would like to hear some opinions on the impulse 49, personally I am trying to decide between the impulse and the MPK49. Now as far my research goes the impulse seems to be very well constructed with good keys, pads and knobs, I only heard some complains about the faders but apparently nothing major, it should be a very good match with Ableton since it have clip launch section. For the automap I never used it but sound very handy and if you don’t like it you can map the controller manually without using automap so I don’t see why this would be any issue.

Tech Mentor

personally i have not used either, but i have nothing but bad things about the impulse series. (and i <3 novation products)