iPad MIDI Fighter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default iPad MIDI Fighter

I built a prototype yesterday. Sends messages over MIDI, transmits buttons, crossfader, and accelerometer x/y.

Is this interesting?

vimeo demo: [ame="http://vimeo.com/35284210"]iPad MIDI Fighter on Vimeo[/ame]

awesome!
    Originally Posted by Oliosky
    I love my mommy's milk
    WTF!

Is this interesting?
    In all honesty, and I hope that doesn't sound harsh, no it isn't really.
    I don't know what you did use as a software to create your template but you limit yourself to the frame of a midi fighter and don't exploit all the resources from either, for example, lemur or touch osc, or even the space of the ipad itself.
    I know several templates using the mentioned programs (well mainly touch osc) that duplicate a midi fighter and in a much more efficient way.
    Only thing I find of interest is the accelometer.

Of course that's a subjective opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYkaW3_jFKY
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    In all honesty, and I hope that doesn't sound harsh, no it isn't really.
    I don't know what you did use as a software to create your template but you limit yourself to the frame of a midi fighter and don't exploit all the resources from either, for example, lemur or touch osc, or even the space of the ipad itself.
    I know several templates using the mentioned programs (well mainly touch osc) that duplicate a midi fighter and in a much more efficient way.
    Only thing I find of interest is the accelometer.

Of course that's a subjective opinion.
    That's legit.

It's actually a full objective-c iPad app, not a template. It stemmed from a conversation that went along the lines of, "can you build a midi fighter in an iPad app?"

So I threw it together in an afternoon. Then added a crossfader and accelerometer.

Thanks for the feedback.

Spacing aside, i think this is pretty cool. I like that it is its own self contained app. Does it send midi over the usb cable? if so that pretty darn awesome. I have tried using touch osc on my ipad with the wifi midi on a windows computer and the results are not to satisfying. I would like to know more:

1. Where can I get/try this app out?
    2. Does it transmit MIDI over the usb cable?

Good work keep it up!

That's great, get all the benefits of the midifighter, without any of those pesky buttons!

oh wait...

in all seriousness, cool project, but doesn't it just make you want a real midifighter more?
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by gmcerveny View Post
    That's legit.

It's actually a full objective-c iPad app, not a template. It stemmed from a conversation that went along the lines of, "can you build a midi fighter in an iPad app?"

So I threw it together in an afternoon. Then added a crossfader and accelerometer.

Thanks for the feedback.
    what would one need to get this running on non-dev iPads? is a jailbreak enough?

@gmcerveny: hey man, I was reading myself again and I found my answer very straightforward and it should be shaded a bit. I think it's cool as a project and props to you to create that of course. I was just comparing the stuff with what any can find elsewhere currently. That doesn't reduce in any measure the merit of your work.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Guru

Pretty cool considering you wrote it natively!

Only comment I would make is the button sizes are a bit small.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by eataskdotcom View Post
    Spacing aside, i think this is pretty cool. I like that it is its own self contained app. Does it send midi over the usb cable? if so that pretty darn awesome. I have tried using touch osc on my ipad with the wifi midi on a windows computer and the results are not to satisfying. I would like to know more:

1. Where can I get/try this app out?
    2. Does it transmit MIDI over the usb cable?

Good work keep it up!
    1. Not sure on when/how it's going to be distributed. Feel free to email me at greg.cerveny@gmail.com and I can make a list for testing or release announcements.

2. Right now it is a Core MIDI network session. I set my macbook up as an adhoc/peer-to-peer network and directly connected my iPad. This was reasonable for a prototype and I could start tracks with enough accuracy to accurately beat match.

The 30 pin adapter is not able to directly send MIDI messages. Though, with an iPad camera connection kit, it can connect to any MIDI class compliant devices through USB or third party MIDI adapters. I have not yet tried to directly hook the camera connection kit to the usb on a mac. That would be convenient if that worked, then all that would be required is a type A male/male usb cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast