Traktor 3.4 and multiple MIDI channels - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Bomes looks scary, but take it from me, once you start digging it all starts to make more sense.

Tonight I'm going to be working with Bomes modifiers for EQ, so I'll definitely get an answer.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

@ DvlsAdvct:

I was wondering if you had a chance to look into this on your setup?

Using Bomes (Classic) I think what needs to be done is set up a translator to convert an incoming message from a pot on midi channel 2, to output on midi channel 1, and then do another translator (for the same pot) to activate midi page 2 in Traktor.

In Traktor I've got the SPACE bar mapped in Hotkeys (hold mode) to select midi page 2.

But this doesn't work The translator works for re-routing midi from channel 2 to 1, but I'm guessing the pot sends loads of on/off messages and this screws up the SPACE bar press to select midi page 2.

Any ideas most welcome

Thanks.
    | XP Pro | Traktor 3.4 | Novation ReMOTE ZeRO | M-Audio Firewire Audiophile |

Wait a second

I just re-read your first thread

Why are you re-assigning the pot on midi channel 2? The controller isn't sending anything on midi channel 2. And when you're on MIDI page 2 it won't send the same message as on page 1, but instead for what it's assigned to on page 2. So wouldn't it make sense to set it to midi channel 1 on page 1 as well? Then soft takeover should work.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

The reason for re-assigning is the ReMOTE puts out midi on channels 1 and 2. I've got a template for controlling EQ which is on channel 1, and a template for FX on channel 2. The reason for the different templates is to take advantage of the displays on the ReMOTE, so I can tell when I'm using EQ or FX, and if the EQ and FX templates were on the same midi channel that wouldn't work in Traktor.

I didn't initially want to use midi pages in Traktor because I couldn't see a way to have the ReMOTE using two templates on the same midi channel and switch between midi pages in Traktor when switching templates (on the ReMOTE).

I could just assign a button on the ReMOTE to switch midi pages in Traktor, but that would mean having to check which template I'm in (on the ReMOTE) and which midi page I'm on - and that would confuse the hell out of me

So that's why I'm trying to re-assign all the midi on channel 2, to channel 1.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly, I'm having a lot of trouble getting my head round it!

Maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way. Someone slap me in the face or something to snap me back into focus.

It's not necessarily that complicated.

If you have the MIDI pages set on toggle then just set the LED display to recognize the change. That way when you press your button for MIDI Page 2 it will say On when it's on MIDI Page 2 and Off when on Page 1. Then everything can transmit on the same channel.

Also, you can see the difference with a quick tweak of the knob to see what moves. I'd think that you won't be sitting on FX control if you're not actually controlling it, though.

But still, why are you using MIDI Pages AND channel changes? If you are using channel changes you might as well keep it on the same page because the soft takeover won't work across channels. OR you MIDI pages and use the same commands. Using both just overcomplicates the situation.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

I'm after a very specific workflow and need to have the different EQ and FX displays on the ReMOTE, and assigning a midi page button unfortunately doesn't fit with the workflow.

Back to the drawing board I guess, but thanks for your replies though, much appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12