DJ+VJ two laptop setup help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default DJ+VJ two laptop setup help

Ok so I have tried using the search function but couldn't find any recent thread to help me with my issue so here it goes...

I have been djing a while and I use Traktor pro 2 (s4+MFP beatmasher) and my roommate really wants to get into VJing. We are thinking of forming a group and having him control the video portion while I control the music. He has been learning Modul8 + Ableton because he uses a apc 40 to control everything. My question is how do I sync Traktor, Modul8 and Abelton so that all his effects look on tempo and what not. We both have 15" MBP as our computers. Also he would like to know if any VJ out there thinks that this is a good software combination to use with traktor. He is just starting to learn so if there is a better (easier?) software combination that is more compatible with traktor then he is open to any suggestions.

Thanks DJTT!
    Last edited by J Hollow; 01-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

MIDI over an Ad Hoc network or via ethernet. Search the forums for "how to sync ableton and traktor"

I dunno about syncing everything with Traktor or anything, but I've started messing with Resolume Avenue to VJ and it is amazing. You can get the whole program for free on their website, but it will always have their logo on the video till you pay for the program (which is good to try out and see if you're into it).

Im looking into getting one of these, maybe your friend should check it out

http://nuvj.arkaos.net/nuvj/product_overview.php

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Livid Cell DNA is bloody brill and wicked to use with an APC as its very APC in form.

Nuvj is basically "Arkaos lite" with a Numark skin - Arkoas is pretty dope too.

As regards syncing, I never liked pre-programming or triggering over midi and prefer to do everything live and feel the music, calculate the drops and builds and let stuff rip on the fly, but thats coming from a DJ background and I know not every Lighting or Visual Jock is as "on cue" perhaps.

If he's going to be doing the visual show element I can't see any reason why he'd need to midi sync with you apart from being lazy or not very beat conscious.

Anyhoo you could send midi clock to his rig over ethernet which is probably the easiest.

http://nerds.de/en/ipmidi_osx.html << that should do the trick

Any music software that provides midi clock should work with it.

Good luck

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the help everyone

@deevey I personally know nothing at all about VJing but he said the reason we need a to sync is so that strobe like effects can be synced perfectly on beat? (or something like that)

IDK lol but thanks for your advice about Livid Cell DNA. I'll def tell him to give it a looking at.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

@deevey I personally know nothing at all about VJing but he said the reason we need a to sync is so that strobe like effects can be synced perfectly on beat? (or something like that)
    Its just like dj'ing - preview, cue, sync and output

I can see midi clock being handy, but certainly not essential once he's triggering on beat and he's relatively in sync ... how much does your tempo normally fluctuate during a gig

Honestly I just find syncing clocks like that more trouble than its worth.... maybe its just me.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I can see midi clock being handy, but certainly not essential once he's triggering on beat and he's relatively in sync ... how much does your tempo normally fluctuate during a gig
    I play really mixed sets which usually have lots of midtempo/hip-hop mashups, dubstep, drumstep, and electro-house. I also (because I often play frat houses and local college bars) play my fair share of top 40s so my tempo is all over the place through out the night. Don't worry though, I make them all sound good together .
    Last edited by J Hollow; 01-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Tech Convert

look at vdmx and resolume 4 they are the best vj apps right now to use example

franksentus.com use resolume
    av.kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFoA_...eature=related use vdmx

both of them have a great integration of quartz composer were you can make great audio reactive visuals

if you have some questions send me pm (but remeber this my english isnt great) im vjing since 2004 on partys like global gathering sensation godskitchen in Poland

edit:

dont ever think about buying nuvj it suxxxxx!

Quote Originally Posted by vjnikon View Post
    edit:

dont ever think about buying nuvj it suxxxxx!
    i was just looking at getting the controller and using it with resolume, i just need a small basic controller since ill be doing it all myself

Quote Originally Posted by J Hollow View Post
    I play really mixed sets which usually have lots of midtempo/hip-hop mashups, dubstep, drumstep, and electro-house. I also (because I often play frat houses and local college bars) play my fair share of top 40s so my tempo is all over the place through out the night. Don't worry though, I make them all sound good together .
    I am in Cincy as well, playing at SAE tonight. Didn't know anyone else here rocks Traktor.
    Last edited by DJ SB; 01-20-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast