Do you use your 4-channel mixer? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I had the controllers to use 4 decks in whatever configuration I wanted, and most of the time the 4th one was useless.

I could see using 3 + a groove box (Ableton, Maschine, MPC, Octatrack, whatever) but it wouldn't add much beyond 2 decks + groove box.

ive got a DJM800 and i use every channel haha it does make rocking up to a gig and plugging in a bit of an issue though. Im thinking about getting some phono to line converters so i can have more flexibility without being an inconvenience to the other dj's playing before or after me.

That being said im also working on a new rig though that will only take up 1 channel ie midi mixer and cue through a soundcard
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Eizhauz View Post
    XONE: 32 ??? LINK(back view)
    3-channel little brother to Xone:42
    Can't stand the layout of the Xone:32 though, gain knobs on the back? Studio-style fader caps? Hell naw.

Been eyeing the Denon X600, it's got aux inputs and mic, and is midi-mappable, which seems cool.

No VCF-Filter though :c
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Mentor

With my vms4 (cheap, but versatile), I use channel 1 for traktor A, Channel 2 for traktor B, Channel 3 for traktor C or Kaossilator, Channel 4 for traktor D or Reactable (on archos g9)...
    Just friday @ soundcloud| Samurai.fm | facebook
    Setup : Dual booted Alienware M11X : Ubuntu Studio : Mixxx 1.11 + ubuntustudio/Windows 7:Traktor pro 2+Reason
    Custom Mappings for this devices : Xone K2, Xone DB2, Technics mk2, Akai Ldp8, Midifighter Classic, Korg Nanokontrol 2, American Audio VMS4, Axiom 25, Kaossilator Pro

I use all four channels! Well, that's a lie actually, I use two channels (2/3) for audio / timecode and the other two (1/4) are all midi mapped for some effects magic in Traktor.

Although in the days before DVS, I used to have my trusty TT's on two channels and some CDJ's on the other two.

Although before I purchased the APC40, I used to use all four channels as "Group" faders in Ableton for some basic mastering via the Audio 8 and the line inputs on my mixer.
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

I own a DJM700..

Channel 1 - CDJ1000
    Channel 2 - CDJ1000
    Channel 3 - Audio8/Technic
    Channel 4 - Audio8/Technic

I hardly use channel 3 + 4 but it saves me plugging and unplugging etc all the time. And i like the extra features you get with a 4 channel mixer rather than just a two channel.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by no_rex4u View Post
    ... and i use channels 2/3 for traktor A&B, channel 1 for traktor C, and channel 4 for my electribe
    I don't own a 4 channel as of now, but this would be my set up for sure.

What electribe do you have? Do you like it?
    I just got an EMX-1SD for Christmas and LOVE it.
    I am definitely going to work it into my flow, and hopefully have the attention span to play 3 decks in traktor and with the electribe.

I only briefly tried syncing my EMX with Traktor via Midi-Clock, but it did not work as well as I had wished. Stayed in sync fine for a few minutes but that was it. It's probably doable though with some trickery, I was just too lazy to get into it a little deeper at that moment.

In any case: Electribes for the win!! Awesome little boxes
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

use mine with a SL3 and two CDJs. only time i ever used a third channel was when i jammed with my buddy who plugged in his Mixtrack Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeatworx View Post
    Skratchworx wrote a great editorial piece on how the industry has fabricated the need for 4 channel controllers... when in reality the majority of us really need two or at most three...

...and before I realized it... the gear didn't necessarily make me a better DJ (in fact, I think I've gotten worse) and all my money was used up on the latest shiny 4 channel DJ gear... lol

...and what's worse is that I still drool over all the latest coming out of NAMM and yet, I know I will probably under utilize it when I end up buying it...
    +1!

Once I realized that I do not use/need 4 channels I immediately switched from the Xone DX to the VCI-300. Best decision I ever made although I do miss the sweet knobs of the DX. Thinking that the chroma caps might take care of this nostalgia though.

I used to drool over 4chan mixers/controllers too but not anymore. THe more I got into mixing, the more I realized that I'm still at a level where I can only utilize 2 channels and I'm fine with that :-)

Although sometimes I do wish Allen & Heath made a 4D equivalent for Itch. Now that would be something I'd consider! Still waiting to see how they'll respond to the discontinuation of the DX.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast