Got M44G

Thread: Got M44G

Tech Mentor

Default Got M44G

Hi,

I just got M44G but need some help setting it up. I'm using Techincs headshell and I'm not sure if I need to put this small metal plate between cartridge and headshell as described in manual. Got two sets of screws (2 shorter I presume when mounting without that metal plate and 2 longer ones for mounting the metal plate). What is the right way?

When I purchased the M447's in December, I got the ones that were already mounted to the Technics headshell and it did not have the (spacer/weight) mounted. It was included inside the packaging with extra screws and spares wires. (So it is not mandatory)

I was not sure if this was to add more weight, or elevate the height of the needle by a few millimeters.

I was thinking of putting it on, as it would help my tonearm become a little more level, since I use thin slipmats.

hope this helps.

Tech Mentor

i use the spacer to level them too, sadly the shure cartridges have problems with the height of technics tonearms
    Last edited by Ando; 01-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Tech Mentor

Sounds like the Technics weight, probably about a 2-3 gram weight. See how it tracks without the weight and decide

Tech Mentor

Apparently its headshell weight , still unclear if I must use it or not although I was pointed to this article where it explains a bit: http://www.turntabletech.com/diy.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    i use the spacer to level them too, sadly the shure cartridges have problems with the height of technics tonearms
    This if probably a stupid question, but have you adjusted the level and calibrated the height adjustment on your tonearm? I do have a thick slipmat (Dr. Suzuki Mix Edition - not sure how I like them but that's a story for another thread), but my tonearms are level so you should be able to level yours without the plate. I could be wrong though.

Put them on without it first and setup your tonearm. If your tonearm won't adjust low enough or there's not enough room to move the weight to the specified amount, add them.

My M-44Gs do not have the spacer/weight installed…but I didn't use particularly thing slipmats. They were thinner than technics slip mats, but not much.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    This if probably a stupid question, but have you adjusted the level and calibrated the height adjustment on your tonearm? I do have a thick slipmat (Dr. Suzuki Mix Edition - not sure how I like them but that's a story for another thread), but my tonearms are level so you should be able to level yours without the plate. I could be wrong though.
    I got Technics slipmats, they are pretty slim, and my tonearms are both adjusted to the lowest possible, a few millimeters of the scale.

I checked again and i use these rings supplied, not the weight. Sadly i don't have the Technics headshells, so i mounted my my M44Gs on SH-4 headshells from Ortofon.

looks like this:
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    I got Technics slipmats, they are pretty slim, and my tonearms are both adjusted to the lowest possible, a few millimeters of the scale.

I checked again and i use these rings supplied, not the weight. Sadly i don't have the Technics headshells, so i mounted my my M44Gs on SH-4 headshells from Ortofon.

looks like this:
    In the kit with M44Gs, I got both headshell weight (that metal plate) and those round spacers (which I didn't know what they was). When setting tonearm height to 0 and without those spacers and weight, I still can't have tonearm leveled. Maybe I should use them to get it leveled as much as possible.

Tech Mentor

Ok, got it setup with the spacers just like in the pic above. But still I have cart at the rear of the headshell, weight 1.5 grams, toneram height 0, anti skate 1.5. Any easy way to setup position of the cartridge without overhang gauge and without using protractors (as I dont know who to use them)? Basically I'm not going after the best sound, I use serato anyway, I just dont wanna damage needles (is it possible to do with misaligned cart ?)..