ibook case for a mod
    Tech Convert

Default ibook case for a mod

Ok, so I have this old ibook which motherboard got f--d up, and Im thinking of using the casing to try to build a midi controller from it. I personally hate that there are no more white macbooks... I mean, that they are no longer making the new ones white. I love the esthetic of it, and always thought that something like a vci-100 would be awesome with this finish. So the thing is this. What do you guys think about this? Do you think it is possible? I'm gonna have a chat with the guy who usually fixes my mac, and has the casing... any tips on how to make the proper cutting and drilling? Also maybe trying to recycle the usb and firewire ports in order not to need a soundcard for the DAW. Also, what sort of hardware would I need? I haven't really made any measurments cause I don't have the casing yet, but I will try to fit in:

6 faders
    12 knobs
    12 arcade push buttons
    and if possible add a couple of touch strips... maybe on the side.

So what do you think? Is this too crazy of an attempt? I've never even been near of doing any kind of mod, except, to my guitars... and I'm not really scared... I think I actually love the challenge...

So I hope you guys find this interesting... will really appreciate the feedback!

Give it a shot, it sounds like a dope mod.

BTW Apple still makes white macbooks, I have a black one for dj & a white one at home.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Re-built quite a few of these (apple technician), iBook's are a pain

Thing with the iBook is, the actual outer/bottom casing isn't that deep (to be able to fill it)

The Bottom case and the Topcase (palmrest bit) only act as like a cover for the middle bit of the laptop that actually hold the components of the machine.

Where as a New MacBook bottom casing would be a bit more ideal, as it does act more like a dish as everything sits inside it
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    Re-built quite a few of these (apple technician), iBook's are a pain

Thing with the iBook is, the actual outer/bottom casing isn't that deep (to be able to fill it)

The Bottom case and the Topcase (palmrest bit) only act as like a cover for the middle bit of the laptop that actually hold the components of the machine.

Where as a New MacBook bottom casing would be a bit more ideal, as it does act more like a dish as everything sits inside it
    I kind of thought of that, but I will try to work my way around it, probably maybe get a deeper bottom part made out of some other material, that will help it be more resistant, and leave just the top for looks...