When did YOU feel comfortable in your abilities?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When did YOU feel comfortable in your abilities?

I'm gonna start this thread off with a mild disclaimer: Obviously any good dj doesn't feel they're "done" learning how to mix properly, nor is there a big old exit sign telling you to get off in 2 miles at the exit to "Club scene central." Just as there are people who tailored their music for years before ever getting the chance to play a show, there's people who got plunged into mixing live and had to learn very quickly how, and not always successfully.

What I want to know, is when did you start thinking yourself "I think it's time I put myself out there more." This is aimed at the peeps who've moved from being just a bedroom dj, to either doing a radioshow, gigs, weekly's, something of the sort. Was there a clicking moment? Did you still feel totally unprepared before your first "big show?" Do you think you waited too little or too long? Are you uncomfortable with the amount of times I used quotations in this post?

I wanna see how some DJTTers decided to hop into the circuit, although I don't have a similar story to share myself quite yet. >_>
    My equipment: Numark Omnicontrol Midi Controller, Traktor Pro (lol pro setup right?)

Rabid Season Mix

my personal experience was learning to beatmatch in the bedroom, after that, i just played out anywhere i could, alot of house party's at first, i got comfortable playing to groups of people. After that, i took the gigs and oppurunities as they came and learned along the way, there was no real 'clicking' point, as i became more experienced, as i got more confidence, and with confidence and experience, i got better. Its still like that today, trying new things and growing as a dj, never ends, at least i hope

I hope that helps

Was there a clicking moment?
    Never had that clicking moment, I grew confident enough and even had to face a choice between giving it up or giving up the GF (family in law bullshit pressure). I made that choice and I'm still not looking back, still love doing gigs.

Did you still feel totally unprepared before your first "big show?"
    Nope. Had a niggle with a CD player that would only pitch upwards from 0, dealt with it.

Do you think you waited too little or too long?
    been doing it all my life, so was more than a lot being done early. I had my first genuine decks at 2 years old and plastic decks toys even before that.

Are you uncomfortable with the amount of times I used quotations in this post?
    what?

What I want to know, is when did you start thinking yourself "I think it's time I put myself out there more."
    No, I just did it one step at a time. Running the college chillout room on a daily basis for years, doing mixtapes, working with other DJs, clubs radios, etc. Buying gear, buying more gear, upgrading, doing gigs to finance it, etc. It goes round.

Tech Wizard

I just started Djing last year and still don't feel 100% comfortable in my abilities. I was told I had to DJ a party a week from getting my first mixtrack pro and have been doing house parties about every other week since. I feel like learning through doing smaller parties was a very positive way to learn in my experience because I had to learn to rock a party fast. Lots of DJs have way more technical skills and knowledge of the history then I do but at the end of the day I feel like what matters most is who can rock a party. Since then my skills have dramatically increased and I have started to reach out to local DJs so I can learn more about the scene in my area but If I hadn't Jumped into parties I might still be locked in my room.

I say screw a time limit and just jump into the ring. Doing this I have opened up some nice opportunities for myself. Shortly I will have a night at a club near campus (only edm focused night around my college for college students) and also am opening for Caspa when he comes to my town in Feb.

Never be 100% comfortable and always try to go bigger... that's basically how I try to approach DJing. Now if I only could say the same thing about the music I produce lol

When I first got my residency at a club at the age of 18. I still don't think I am the best DJ out there. I still mess up and some of my mixes are still whack. But I am confident that I can make people dance. I know how to read the crowd and my music selection is pretty good. I don't get nervous anymore in front of a crowd, I think that helps with my confidence.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Guru

I got thrown in to Djing when i 15, ended up playing on everything from gemini rack mount CDJ crap to vinyl, then moved to traktor.

Now, at 22, i feel my abilities still lack, so im going to CDJs and gonna start throwing myself at every possible club night, open deck night and random gig i can find.

I think you never forget how to mix, but you definitely need to keep your skills polished.

So yeah, i'm never really comfortable, unless it's one of my own nights therefore i know exactly what im doing music wise.

Tech Mentor

My first time playing in front of people was actually in a band setting playing the guitar, so when I began to DJ, it seemed only natural that I eventually move out and start playing in front of people. Being a DJ and a band member aren't that different, except with more people. You work hard both by yourself and as a band to get better, and when you feel ready, you begin to look around for places to play. You also tend to start at the crappier venues (house parties and open mics, respectively) and then move on up from there. For me, I knew from the moment I started that I wanted to play out with my decks. I pretty much learned how to beatmatch, and then I was off to the races at the vast amount of keggers this college has to offer

EDIT: On a side note, when the f**k did I become a Tech Wizard????
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Quote Originally Posted by J Hollow View Post
    I just started Djing last year and still don't feel 100% comfortable in my abilities. I was told I had to DJ a party a week from getting my first mixtrack pro and have been doing house parties about every other week since. I feel like learning through doing smaller parties was a very positive way to learn in my experience because I had to learn to rock a party fast. Lots of DJs have way more technical skills and knowledge of the history then I do but at the end of the day I feel like what matters most is who can rock a party. Since then my skills have dramatically increased and I have started to reach out to local DJs so I can learn more about the scene in my area but If I hadn't Jumped into parties I might still be locked in my room.

I say screw a time limit and just jump into the ring. Doing this I have opened up some nice opportunities for myself. Shortly I will have a night at a club near campus (only edm focused night around my college for college students) and also am opening for Caspa when he comes to my town in Feb.

Never be 100% comfortable and always try to go bigger... that's basically how I try to approach DJing. Now if I only could say the same thing about the music I produce lol
    Please tell me of the EDM focused night at UC?!! I spun at Luxe and thought I was the only one spinning strictly house.

Im always learning, its nuts.... the more i learn the more i realize that i know next to nothing... but that just inspires me to learn even more so im not complaining

The rabbit hole goes SERIOUSLY f***ing deep... especially now i reside in m4l / max msp land where the possibilities are unfathomable - best step i ever made i reckon, have never looked back.

Banned

Got my first decks and a mixer when I was 14, and didn't really feel comfortable to play out until I was 17 if not 18 even, but that's also learning on a pair of POS tables so my learning curve is a bit different than more peoples today. = p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast