Starting fresh, selling everything for a new setup
    Tech Convert

Default Starting fresh, selling everything for a new setup

Not sure where this belongs, so I'm just posting here. I am selling my current setup and getting about $600 for it. In total, I have about $850 to spend on a new setup. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Choice 1:
    (2x) Stanton T.62 TT's
    Traktor Kontrol S4 heavily used from Guitar Center
    (I already have TSP2)

Choice 2:
    (2x) Stanton T.62 TT's
    Gemini PS 424x Mixer
    Traktor Audio 6
    Traktor Kontrol X1

I really like the analog look and feel, but I know that I will hate having so many pieces to my setup when I do mobile gigs. I love the S4, but buying something used isn't my ideal way to buy things. I really want to have 1 midi controller in my setup, and some Timecode vinyl. Any other suggestions, or opinions on which I should choose?

Tech Wizard

get the s4- duh! best for the money. Later you can add tables to it . the t.62s are good, but the st-150s are perfection and worth the extra. check around for a better condition s4 - you should be able to find one.

Tech Convert

Thanks I am leaning towards the S4, but I honestly don't see any way that I will be able to wait for the 150's. I have a long, long, long list and this is just the start! After around a week of searching, the best I could find was an in store used S4 from Guitar Center for $550. I just emailed the store manager to see what condition it was in before I get set on buying it.

Mixer and X1 so that when you get more funds you can just replace the mixer and have a solid setup (aside from the TTs, but those are the same in both options).

Those stanton t.62s are an absolute joke- they might as well be belt drive tables with how they feel and how absurdly little torque you get.

It's not even worth using timecode at all if you are going to get such crappy tables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErCrJMVDUzU
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 01-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Honestly, what i would do is get 2 stanton t92's and then get a mixer like the behringer ddm-4000 with the audio 6. The mixer has midi functionality, so you can map the fx and trackloading to it until you save up enough to pick up the x1 later.

But really, on second thought, especially with your being mobile... I'd get the S4 now (try to get a good deal on one) and then down the line when you have more money, sell it and get yourself an actually decent mixer, pair of TTs, an X1, and an audio 6.
    Last edited by keeb; 01-22-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo

There are two routes, as I see it.

Get turntables, and focus on those and a mixer. Mostly if you'll be using your setup for home, and if you are playing anywhere else, they will have TT's that you can just bring your laptop, audio interface, and control vinyl and be good to go.

Otherwise, get a controller (the S4 seems to be the one you are leaning toward). If you are going to be using it in places that don't have TT's already, it will be really nice for the convenience. You can also add turntables later when you build a little more cash to supplement your setup.

Personally, I feel like there's something special about using TT's. That being said, I think the S4 fits a really nice spot if you're using TT's alongside a DVS setup. But it's not worth skimping on your products. Ever.

If you buy crap, you're going to want to replace it. Probably not reselling it for much. Just buy exactly what you want, even if it's piecemeal.

You can also go through sites like zzsounds.com and do the monthly payment thing if you need to spread out payments.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter