Calling All 1200 Mechanics!

Default Calling All 1200 Mechanics!

My SL-1200 mk2 platter does not fit properly! The platter has a rocking motion similar to a see-saw. The spindle is good; when I switched my platter with my other turntable, the deck spins perfectly true. However, with it's original platter I have no luck. It is worth mentioning that the platter was SEVERELY stuck to the turntable, and I only recently freed it using the a friend to hold the platter while I gently tapped on the spindle with a hammer as described on the interwebs. Is there any way to fix it? Anybody got a decent platter I can buy? I only need the platter, not the drive magnet. Can I fix this platter? Any answers would be appreciated.

Sounds like it's warped, not sure if you have access to the tools to flatten it back. Simpler to buy a new platter altogether, have a look on ebay or something.

I've got an extra platter but I'm afraid if I sell it I will regret it later if I need one... Hmm let me think about it.

Tech Guru

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Thanks DJ Lotus, but I have zero desire to acquire this part from eBay. The deck it's going on was an ebay purchase. It was supposedly "in great shape, with a new tone arm and new, internally grounded RCAs!" Except the guy failed to mention the new shit is all due to him stepping on the power cord while walking, which caused him to drop the deck and kill the tonearm. He even screwed the pop-up light up. Bent it so badly I had to buy another one, because it'd no longer "pop up". The platter was either superglued or beaten onto the spindle. The only way i'm buying this part is if I can get it from Nicadraus, Xonetacular, or one of the forum members. I trust us more than eBay for sure.

@Xonetacular:
    Dude, I want YOUR platter. I admire your work and have alot of faith in your word. Let me know, as i'd LOVE to buy it from you.

Tech Guru

no worries. I completely understand your hesitation.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."