Do you think I'll have latency issues using my stereo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you think I'll have latency issues using my stereo?

Hello. I'm planning to go with a traktor S2 as my first controller. However, I'm a little bit worried about the current equipment I have.

My laptop's sound comes from a 3.5mm input to RCA input. The RCA is plugged into the back of the stereo receiver and the 3.5mm jack goes in the headphone output on my laptop.

I plan to use my stereo with the traktor s2, but I wonder if I'll have latency issues doing this.

Does anybody here use their computer speakers or their stereo receiver while mixing?

Should I just go and buy a set of monitors for the midi controller instead?

I use an audio 4 dj and my stereo (20yr old AIWA sterio, still the best sound I have ever herd, better than most monitors) and I don't have any latency issues.

Tech Mentor

It's not so straightforward. With a normal analogue stereo amp, your ear's distance to the speaker is the only meaningful source of delay. With home theatre receivers with processing turned on, the processing latency varies a lot, but certainly isn't designed with live performance in mind. If you have a home theare receiver, make sure the input you use is in "direct" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    It's not so straightforward. With a normal analogue stereo amp, your ear's distance to the speaker is the only meaningful source of delay. With home theatre receivers with processing turned on, the processing latency varies a lot, but certainly isn't designed with live performance in mind. If you have a home theare receiver, make sure the input you use is in "direct" mode.
    Nope. It's a Panasonic brand stereo receiver with two speakers that came with it.

It's a setup kind of like this.

I'll buy some proper monitors later, but right now I may have to make due with what I have.

Grab yourself a set of these

Run them from the s2 outputs straight to your stereo inputs. and your done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
    My laptop's sound comes from a 3.5mm input to RCA input. The RCA is plugged into the back of the stereo receiver and the 3.5mm jack goes in the headphone output on my laptop.
    The s2 has a soundcard so there is no need to do it this way. Read the manual once you get the s2
    Last edited by Zaniac; 01-23-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaniac View Post
    Grab yourself a set of these

Run them from the s2 outputs straight to your stereo inputs. and your done.
    Ah, Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else that replied, too.

Some of these stereos use DSP chips on them to "enchance" the sound which adds latency (i had this issue on an old amp i used to own). However theres usually the ability to bypass the DSP (digital signal processing) chip which will get rid of the latency

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Some of these stereos use DSP chips on them to "enchance" the sound which adds latency (i had this issue on an old amp i used to own). However theres usually the ability to bypass the DSP (digital signal processing) chip which will get rid of the latency

Great information, thanks!

I use my DSP as a master eq. I don't have a latency issue, although I do use a car head unit so it might be different.

Some of them use really cheap DSPs and add a lot of latency.

It's more a problem with home theater systems (because of the surround sound processing) than bookshelf systems, but it might be something to consider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast