Needing Speaker assistance

Default Needing Speaker assistance

Hello, I need some help upgrading my sound system. For gigs and house parties I use my PA setup which is two Peavy PR12 speakers running through a 400W head. Well im getting a pretty hefty tax return this year so i was looking into subs and power amps and new heads for my system. I was thinkin about getting two Peavy PV 118 18" subs to go with my speakers but the head im using now will NOT be able to power all 4 speakers. Should i get a power-amp to power everything, look for powered subs, or just get a new head? Thanks

What kind of spaces are you playing in and what kind of events are they? This is the second most important consideration, coming in after you decide how much you are willing to spend.

Small spaces like house parties? Sell that PA and get some powered speakers.

Large spaces? That gets a little more complicated. Search the forums for what other guys have done with a similar setup to yours.

Have your own promotion outfit and need to cover any space you book? Drop a ton of money up front on a big, versatile system that will cover any situation. It's a lot cheaper to have a baseline rig that you can add to over the years rather than completely changing your setup every time you book a space larger than the last. I've gone through three sound systems for upgrades, and lost money on each one after all was said and done. Don't do what I did.

Tech Mentor

For years I had 2 Peavey SP 5G's, 2 EV 18" sub boxes, and an Amp box with 2 heavy ass power Amps.

I finally sold that shit, saved up a few more dollars, and got 2 Mackie HD 1521's and a Mackie HD 1801. Eventually I will get another Sub, but for now this is great, I have no more freakin amp box to lug around. The set up takes less time less space, yet it's WAY more powerful, sounds better, and will probably last a really long time.

See the thing is the speakers are great for what i use them for (large parties, outside gigs, and odds and ends) ad Peavey is amazing because they are based out of my town so it takes less than 24 hours for repairs and such. But I want 2 sub's to add more low end for the style of music I play. So im just looking to add 2 subs and was wondering if going powered would be the best bet or just get a power amp to be able to push power to everything?

I have a 15" Behringer powered sub, and i love it a little chunky, and I don't think I would be able to transport two of them, but I guess that's the same with any sub.

Their cheap as well
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Convert

check out Alto truesonic
    probably best for the price

Tech Wizard

Since the topic of speakers has been brought up, anyone used or own Behringer B215Ds. I'm currently thinking about buying 2 of them and also buying the 18" behringer powered sub but I'm worried about quality issues. I really don't wanna be buying speakers every 6 months!

i was looking at those Alto True-Sonic 15"s and they look soooo sweet but i cant find anywhere to order some thats not from the UK

EDIT: Scratch that, found one. Think thats what im gonna go with
    Last edited by Otacon; 01-25-2012 at 12:00 PM.