Shits going quick!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Shits going quick!

Weird post title. But Ever since I started spinning about 4 months ago I have been so addicted its bad. School is sliding a bit, but im taking this week to catch up hard. Other than that me and my buddy are busting mixes out of everywhere and we cannot stop.. and I'm taking on too many parties lol! But fuck it, bring it on!

I think ill need to slow down a bit in a couple weeks because of exams..

ps. check the mix section i just uploaded a recent mix.

hope ya like it!

peace!

You need to find a balance and not over do it. I've seen alot of dj get burned out and go down the wrong path. And I mean good dj's here in l.a., they were the hot-est dj's in the clubs, and next thing you know...they could get hired anywhere du2 activities that shall remain nameless.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

hahaha!

its no joke, ive been in this game since '92
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

i feel ya man! For about a month I have been just living/breathing/doing spinning.. My life kind of seems out of wack.. i took this weekend off after a gig this friday and didnt touch my computer until tonight. I feel much better and ready to go again.

I have seen it as well with some of the top Canadian djs. They go hard and then burn out, get caught up in extra curricular activities to keep the engine running but it eventually backfires or the G.Hole (GHB) and wipe the gear out off the dj booth. ReHab, AA, and just eventually don't get hired any more because they are wrecks. dare I say "Has beens!"
    I myself at one point was on that boat. Took a hiatus into the flatlands of Alberta to work save monies and get more gear. Fine tune a new style of mixing and do what I love to do. Beats Beats and more Beats!

... but for sure you do want to give yourself a rest. Especially your ears as they fatigue easily and your skill suffers because of it.

you wanna be at your peak as long as possible and have fun doing it. Plus not play yourself out to fast. Damage the ears etc... good investments are earbuds! you can hear everything but they filter out harsh Db levels to protect your ears while in the club / Party. I wear them during Bassnectar sets. In the past when I did not I suffered with hearing loss for days past. I was like the old geezer always saying "speak up sonny!"
    Although its great to be in demand for every show!
    another thing I see with some djs who play out all the time is yes that's what they are doing and they love and want that. But that's all it becomes to them and they loose their personality and flare for good times. I think great Djs have skills on the decks and off when socializing. Not just a walking talking iPod. Great examples of this are Donald Glaude(who leaves the tables mid set to dance in the crowd), Lorin Bassnectar, Mark Farina, Dave Armstrong, Noah Buddit, Frankie Bones .... all who you will see in the crowd dancing up a storm to other sets or chatting it up with the co-party goers. and hitting on the hot little blondes and some red heads as well. The best time was Lorin dancing up a storm to Excision at both Shambhala and the Kelowna show. Thats passion! and thats the ones everyone for the night remember.
    Keep rocking the floors though and enjoy it but pace it!
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You need to reconcile this stuff we do with life. You can't give up your life for it because then what do you have but a hobby that has taken control of your health, and you don't want to forgo all the good that can come of it. So be sure to give yourself nights off, relaxation, vegetation time, just to read, or watch movies, or be with friends. Make sure you set aside time for your, without the DJing aspect.

Also, I can't help but reiterate what jasonj said. Make sure you're having fun when you're doing it. It looks good to the crowd and, well, it means you're having fun.

So yeah, enjoy yourself, rock out, but make sure you have time for you. This stuff will eat you alive.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    You need to reconcile this stuff we do with life. You can't give up your life for it because then what do you have but a hobby that has taken control of your health, and you don't want to forgo all the good that can come of it. So be sure to give yourself nights off, relaxation, vegetation time, just to read, or watch movies, or be with friends. Make sure you set aside time for your, without the DJing aspect.

Also, I can't help but reiterate what jasonj said. Make sure you're having fun when you're doing it. It looks good to the crowd and, well, it means you're having fun.

So yeah, enjoy yourself, rock out, but make sure you have time for you. This stuff will eat you alive.
    Cheers to that, I have seen so many djs play stone cold who look like they are not having fun, throwing down a wicked set but no one is really into it as the dj is not into it himself.

I had that problem when i first started. At home I was stoked and rocking out with my socks on and having fun. But stage freight made me so nervous when playing in front of people. So self concious I had a hard time getting into the set so It really was a flat and not energetic at all. Now I tend to have a beer or 2 in the hour before I play to calm the nerves then have a few during the set and party along with everyone. The music is great, and everyone will love it to if you are loving it. !

I actually got to play to the old crowd I started dj with at the end of marchand was commented on how much I have opened up and how much my sets have inproved ( the recording is at http://jasonj.unlogical.org. The Old School Party 2009. Great concept, brought old freinds together and we were only aloud to play our original songs pre-2001 so I dipped way back into 80 and early 90's with some orbital, sandstorm ewww hated that song but everyone loved it. etc...

Look at norman cook when he plays, tiesto etc...
    although armin van burren is a stone player and his sets reflect it. Technically great but I fall asleep to them, maybe because its pretty trance.
    Deadmau5 (Joel) has his quirks and gets the crowd going.
    like I said before the great djs are those who are there to party with everyone and not just play jukebox.
    Last edited by jasonj; 04-08-2009 at 09:44 AM.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jasonj View Post
    like I said before the great djs are those who are there to party with everyone and not just play jukebox.
    I think regardless of everything else, this is what matters.

As much as I am there to give someone else a good time, if I'm not having a good time then what's the point? It'll be reflected in what I play and how I play it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

lol @ sandstorm,

every now and then Ill see someone driving down the street with their windows down cranking that out super loud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast