Do I need a good mixer for timecode application?
    Tech Mentor

Default Do I need a good mixer for timecode application?

By good, I mean as in sound quality. I could get a more expensive mixer with better sound quality, or I could get a cheap one, likely with worse sound quality.
    Is the sound quality that important since the sound comes directly from the soundcard?
    Does vestax have better sounding mixers than stanton?
    Is there really a huge difference anyway?

This will be for home use primarly.
    I AM A DISK JERKER

Sure the mixer sound quality differ from a model to another. They all have their own preamp, buffers & Eq design. No matter how good your souncard is, if the mixer is crappy, sound will be crap.

Pricing is not always a good sign how good it sounds. DJM800 VS XONE:92. XONE:92 sound way better for almost the same price in the past.

You could still use a controller and use Traktor's internal mixing mode.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by buddha131 View Post
    By good, I mean as in sound quality. I could get a more expensive mixer with better sound quality, or I could get a cheap one, likely with worse sound quality.
    Is the sound quality that important since the sound comes directly from the soundcard?
    Does vestax have better sounding mixers than stanton?
    Is there really a huge difference anyway?

This will be for home use primarly.
    sound still has to come out of the soundcard and go through the mixer where it is mixed.

It's not just sound quality it's the feel, quality of the EQs, quality of the faders, etc. I mean most modern mixer sound ok sound quality wise but that's not the main point. Stanton mixers are pretty bad and vestax are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    sound still has to come out of the soundcard and go through the mixer where it is mixed.

It's not just sound quality it's the feel, quality of the EQs, quality of the faders, etc. I mean most modern mixer sound ok sound quality wise but that's not the main point. Stanton mixers are pretty bad and vestax are pretty good.
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything he said.

Stanton have made some decent mixers in the past, but most of the halfway modern ones leave a lot to be desired.

With vestax, you get more than you pay for in terms of sound quality and usually no real features at all…just a very solid basic mixer. But I'm also a vestax fanboy. If you told me I could have any mixer in the world, most of the time I'd pick a vestax, though which one changes depending on my mood.

And the differences in sound quality are pretty small once you get above the "not crap" level that cuts out behringer, numark, most stantons, gemini, american audio, and a few others.

Price doesn't necessarily equal quality, for example, I'd say that a Xone:22 is far better than a Stanton M.207, and they're roughly the same price, with the same features.
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

They both break a lot.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Exactly. sure your only reading a tone from the record up to your computer, but then your computer is sending real audio back down through the mixer, through the mixers master out, to the sound system.
    Xyloft Live on Faderwave radio 5-7 PM EST - Drum and Bass, Drumstep, Funky House and more.