How do you find your mixes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How do you find your mixes?

My buddy I who I DJ with differ alot on how we make /create mixes... I download a shit load of tracks and just try different combinations.. until one works..

I'm interested in how the rest of you guys find / create mixes.

improv bro

i never plan my sets or mixes

i just learn my tracks inside out and workout what kind of feel they have and just "go with the flow" lol

i like to think when im mixing that it is a once in a lifetime thing. the only time these songs will be heard like that in that order blah blah blah... so i dont really record many mixes - even though i prob should

i like it being a one off thing
    fart.

i make playlist. ie New Wave 110 to 130 BPM, New Wave 135 - 150 Bpm, Indie Pop, Rock En Enspaņol, and so forth, basically I split them into genres.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

This may sound weird, but I listen to a several podcasts and browse through digital-music-stores or get hints from a friend about nice tracks. When something is to my liking and ends up in my iTunes, it goes onto my iPod which I use about every night to listen to some tracks before going to sleep.
    Now occasionally, I'm in the mood to build a mix-list, so I am simply putting the pod on random play, and skip tracks until I find something good to start with.
    From there on I try finding tracks that match the mood and beat (though I'm prone to include certain favorite tracks), and write a list of the track-titles.
    So far it worked out pretty well, the only let-down are my dj-skills
    I mix stuff on my things...

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Every time I spin I am discovering new mixes. When I'm at home just gridding songs, and making mixes, when I'm spinning live in clubs, and when I'm listening to other DJs spin (either at clubs or via mixes/podcasts).
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I run everything through mixed in key as I cannot tell the difference in keys for the life of me, then improv from there. Just enjoy my time playing have fun, dance with everyone, and generally party. The music takes care of itself pretty much when you are into the vibe of the floor (go with the flow).

this way you find many happy accidents that well get you stoked while the set unfolds.
    Your energy level goes up = the floor comes along with you.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

In my opinion the best way to create a good mix, is first to find a meaning to it. You can get very rational if you want when creating a mix. As on any project you should find a goal first, for a mix there are infinite, you may be wanting to mix your favorite songs, create a mix for a club, a mix that recreate the feeling of a party, a deep mix, etc..... It is easy when you have an idea to start with. Then you may be wanting to create a small structure for a set, lets say you want to mix 60 mins, so you know you will be using around 10 tracks. You could smartly arrange your mix, in a genre progression, ex: deep house, tech house, ending with progressive. Or just wisely arrange those 10 tracks acording to the energy level you want to keep , you may want to sart slow then explode at the middle , go down a bit and full energy a t the end.

What I want to tell you is that in order to be a better dj, you need to be able to evaluate your work, if every mix is just trial and error, you will never learn from them. If they have a meaning you can evaluate them according on how well you achieved your goal. When a good Dj imporvises is beacause he knows what each song brings, in terms of energy, mood, feelings etc, so you actually imporvise to work for a goal you want to achieve at that moment. Same as a good jazz improvisation, each change of scale is not coincidence, is with knowledge. You need to know the structure, the songs, and how to achieve a goal first before you can imporvise as a great master, for that first you need strcuture. I have learn that from playing music since I have memory.

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    In my opinion the best way to create a good mix, is first to find a meaning to it. You can get very rational if you want when creating a mix. As on any project you should find a goal first, for a mix there are infinite, you may be wanting to mix your favorite songs, create a mix for a club, a mix that recreate the feeling of a party, a deep mix, etc..... It is easy when you have an idea to start with. Then you may be wanting to create a small structure for a set, lets say you want to mix 60 mins, so you know you will be using around 10 tracks. You could smartly arrange your mix, in a genre progression, ex: deep house, tech house, ending with progressive. Or just wisely arrange those 10 tracks acording to the energy level you want to keep , you may want to sart slow then explode at the middle , go down a bit and full energy a t the end.

What I want to tell you is that in order to be a better dj, you need to be able to evaluate your work, if every mix is just trial and error, you will never learn from them. If they have a meaning you can evaluate them according on how well you achieved your goal. When a good Dj imporvises is beacause he knows what each song brings, in terms of energy, mood, feelings etc, so you actually imporvise to work for a goal you want to achieve at that moment. Same as a good jazz improvisation, each change of scale is not coincidence, is with knowledge. You need to know the structure, the songs, and how to achieve a goal first before you can imporvise as a great master, for that first you need strcuture. I have learn that from playing music since I have memory.
    so true dude. i once did a mix where the goal was to have dance tracks from all over the world, making a big round from miami back to new york, and afterward it was easier to judge whether i accomplished what i really set out to do. you can't improve if you don't set goals first, real talk.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

My sets are very mashup oriented.

As a result. I'm always hearing songs that just BELONG together. When I start singing one song over another song, I know that they NEED to be mixed together.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Good to see you back...you know this is the calm before the storm, Depeche Mode fever is coming. And the 5.1 disc is just around the corner, so its remix time!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast