Some questions :)
    Tech Student

Default Some questions :)

First i want to say hello TechTools im new to the forum but plan to help others

1.I was talking to a DJ and he was saying that dont play songs out from Start to Finish even if there really good why??

2. Iv'e noticed that a lot of Dj's have 4 cdj decks what do they need so many i do just fine on 2 decks??

3. I have a great music selection and only do parties that have my music taste trance,electronic,dance,techno i want to know when i can be confident to go to bigger gigs the only thing im worried is how to set everything there.

4. Is there a way i can practice on CDJ's because i dont have 800 dollars to spend

Thank, You and sorry for so many question you dont have to fell obligated to answer all of them.

1. its called mixing for a reason.
    2. mostly for show. most dj's would only use 3 decks max although having 4 is good if one of the decks fails mid set.
    3. just do it
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    First i want to say hello TechTools im new to the forum but plan to help others

1.I was talking to a DJ and he was saying that dont play songs out from Start to Finish even if there really good why??

2. Iv'e noticed that a lot of Dj's have 4 cdj decks what do they need so many i do just fine on 2 decks??

3. I have a great music selection and only do parties that have my music taste trance,electronic,dance,techno i want to know when i can be confident to go to bigger gigs the only thing im worried is how to set everything there.

4. Is there a way i can practice on CDJ's because i dont have 800 dollars to spend

Thank, You and sorry for so many question you dont have to fell obligated to answer all of them.
    Welcome to the forum, i too am from miami. there is a store right by the airport called Extreme Pro Sound they are a DJ only store, go in there and talk to Mike or Greg, (they are the managers) it is the kind of place that only Dj's go to. they have a pair of 2k's, 300's and 2 pairs of 900's all set up to the PA system. i usually go there a lot when im home from school so i can practice on CDJ's. they also have a nice selection of stuff.

welcome to the forums NickG. I'm sure you'll learn a bunch of stuff over the next few months by browsing the forums. They really are a gold mine for tips and tricks for DJing. I basically learned all I know from forums and youtube videos.

As for your questions:

1. This really depends on the crowd and venue, and a bunch of stuff. If a song is really, and I mean really, bucking out to a track. I would not recommend switching it, and let it play out. Although I don't think you should let it play all the way to the end, but playing most of the song is not bad, and actually encouraged sometimes.

2. 2 cdjs are for mixing between tracks, the 3rd and 4th cdjs are for adding in vocals and instrumentals. But usually most people use 2, and those who venture into using more than 2 decks usually just use 3. Especially now with samples and what not, there really isn't much need for a 4th cdj.

3. To move on to bigger gigs you'll need to work your way into the scene or make a connection with event organizers or established DJs somehow...Try focusing on events that cater specifically to your music taste. You may have to do a lot of shittier, less glamorous gigs before you can move on to bigger stuff.

4. Ask a friend if you can go over and spin on his cdjs for a bit every now and then. Just remember CDJs aren't the be all and end all of dj equipment. I started off on a small vestax midi controller, and it was until 2 years later that I purchased a full CDJ setup. (with the money I had earned through gigs with my small midi controller).

A word of wisdom if I may. Don't try and rush into everything. Really figure out what you want to get out of DJing and figure out where you want to go. Creating small goals at first like "I want to spin at a house party with over 100ppl by the end of the year." as you go on checking off your goals you can keep creating slightly bigger goals and move your way up.

All the best.

- bmo
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.