diy platter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diy platter

Tech Mentor

Default diy platter

Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has in depth knowledge of how the platter on say a vci-100 works. What I am trying to ask is could it be replicated with a rotary controller from a different midi controller or is there something specific that makes it work.

I would love to somehow hack my bcr2000 or similar to have platters for seeking through songs. etc.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

the platter on the vci-100 is sending +1 or -1 information depending on what way the platter is turned. i suppose an endless rotary could mimic that but there is also the touch part of the platter that sends a different +1 or -1 message when the platter is turned with the touch part activated.

the bcr has some endless rotaries right? you could link song scrub or beat jump to one of those rotaries for track scrub right?

good luck.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The platter on the VCI-100 sends six different signals. Three when "Vinyl Mode" is activated (On, then the back and forth, then off) and three when "Vinyl Mode" is not activated. The back and forth motion is just a +1/-1, which can easily be replicated by an endless rotary, but you would need a touch sensitive one, or a button to replicate the On/Off feature.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

The VCI-100 jog basicly works by having a whole heap of small holes on a peice of metal that freely turns as you move the jog - its actually two circles of small holes. A light shines though these small holes and theres light sensors on the other side of the two cricles that detects the light. The faster the jog is spinning the faster the light sensors are turned off and on, the jog knows the direction its going because of the alternating messages which tells the cpu the direction the jog wheel are going.

There is also a touch sensitive sensor, when it detect that your touching the device it sends a signal off to the cpu, then when you take your finger off the signal also turns off so your the cpu knows when are and are not touching the jog wheel.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-08-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    There is also another sensor that is touch sensitive, when it detect that your touching the device it sends a signal off to the cpu then when you take turns this signal off so you the cpu knows when are, and are not touching the wheel.
    Dude........ isn't English supposed to be your first language? ..........
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Look up "Quadrature Encoder" for an explanation on how a pair of out-of-phase bits can tell you which direction the encoder is being spun. The controller then counts the number of flashes in a timeslice and returns that as (signed number + 64), e.g.

65 - 64 = +2
    64 - 64 = 0
    59 - 64 = -5

That's how you know how fast and in which direction your platter has been spun.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    There is also another sensor that is touch sensitive, when it detect that your touching the device it sends a signal off to the cpu then when you take turns this signal off so you the cpu knows when are, and are not touching the wheel.
    are you trying to break brains?
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

It was late and i was dead tired - edited it now to make sense

Tech Mentor

thanks all, think I will just buy one some time in the near future. Sounds a bit over my head to try and replicate.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Tech Mentor

didn't somebody round these parts make one with an optical mouse for like peanuts cash?

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/scratchcontroller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast