New Macbook Pros coming? - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    If you can wait, I believe that it should be worth to.
    The Tax man commeth. Waiting may not be an option.

Tech Guru

Ivy bridge is said to ship in late early April. Apple would be from the first to sell products based on it (if not ultimately the first).

I'm following the macrumors site (and a couple of more) closely and all the leaks are in-line with an early Q2 scheduled release. The date hasn't come from Apple, rather than from Intel. Would you expect Apple to miss the "invation" oportunity?

The buyer's guide has the key rumors stories next to the MBP & MBA sections.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by C.Lukas1 View Post
    Damn you get raped across the pond lol.

4gb upgrade for me us $200 USD....huge ripoff. 500 to 750gb HD is ony $100 USD.
    A stock model and an aftermarket upgrade. RAM is dirt cheap these days, but the drives became very expnsive because of the Taiwan floods (at least that's the official version).

Only the MBA does not allow aftermarket RAM upgrade, as it's slodered. The SSDs can be upgraded, but I find Apple's offering to be reasonably priced. That's why I'm hoping for a 500G SSD option - i'd expect it to be affordable. But yet, the performance test reports say that the Apple stock SSD is poor, compared to the high-end SSDs available ....

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ivy bridge is said to ship in late early April. Apple would be from the first to sell products based on it (if not ultimately the first).

I'm following the macrumors site (and a couple of more) closely and all the leaks are in-line with an early Q2 scheduled release. The date hasn't come from Apple, rather than from Intel. Would you expect Apple to miss the "invation" oportunity?

The buyer's guide has the key rumors stories next to the MBP & MBA sections.
    My deadline is April 5th and not a day later unfortunately.

Tech Guru

would a preorder (full payment and delayed shipment) work for the taxes thing ?

I hope for you to meet the deadline, although, I believe that for the purpose you want it, the current 13" models will do just fine. The Retina display may be the attractive thing for you, but it's purely in the rumors area at this stage. It will come, but it might not be for this release at all, although there are reports of mass production here and there.

Tech Guru

They should be out in Q2. Pros & Airs ... and I'm pretty confident it'll happen.
    Also, there are a lot of reports about mass production of "Retina" displays for the Pros - the expectations are to 2880x1800 (double 1440x900) on the 15. Perhaps we could see improved resolution & density on the 13" too, to match the MBA 1440x900 (or the Retina equivalent).

On the wishes side, I hope to see an afordable option for a 13" with 500G SSD and 8G RAM, preferably an Air.

Generally, all manufucturers are eager to get the Ivy bridge and the expectation is that the entire industry will be shiftinng to the MB Air (a.k.a Ultrabooks) format. Apple will rush to present a strong contender before everyone else, i'm sure about this
    If they release a 2880x1800 resolution I can guarantee that the base model will be well above $2500....have you ever looked at the monitor market for 2650x1600 screens? not to mention they would have to fit those pixels in an extremely dense area, so 3k for the 'macbook pro' may be the future...they have already shown that their focus will be on the macbook air or future equivalent, they need to do that anyways or else cheaper machines with equal quality will take that market share.

I hope to see an afordable option for a 13" with 500G SSD and 8G RAM, preferably an Air.
    Is that ever going to happen? Last time I checked SSD was still hellishly expensive I surely had to pay for my 256GB SSD...
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Tech Guru

the 256 SSD offering in the Air is very reasonably priced. The bad with the current Air is the 4GB RAM limitation. I need to use Windows VM at times, and the 4G is a no go for me to use the Windows VM accpetably.

So considering the reasonable cost of the 256 MBA, I can still say that I hope for a reasonably priced 500G .

This and the Retina Display thing - Apple are industry changers. If they decide that they want to SHIFT UP by few levels, they can simply do it - it's the volumes which work for them. If they offer the 500G SSD in a 13" with Retina for about 2k EUR (current is 1500EUR), that'll be a reasonable price for me and it seems doable.

One thing I've noticed about Apple - they tend to keep the price ranges across the updates. If as rumored they are doing the Retina display, they will likely keep the price ranges. The SSD upgrade for the Air - maybe they can do it, IDK ...

Tech Wizard

All I wanna know is how many USB's the new macbooks gonna have!

Tech Guru

LOL, you'd better look at the Thuderbolt docks. Apple are not likely to add more ports with this minimization they're after ...

At least Thunderbolt will become an open standard, so more docking options will come for sure

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast