My Get Rich Quick Scheme?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default My Get Rich Quick Scheme?

Alright I was sitting in my English class today and got to wondering: Often times, it seems someone will come up to you at a gig you're playing and request a song that you don't have. Rather than bumming someone out, what if someone could create a program/thing that did something like this:

The DJ could go on YouTube or similar website that has the song, and route the audio as a stream into a channel on Traktor, after which he can then mix it/work it into the set.

Is this possible, or has someone already made something like this? This literally is an idea that just popped into my head, so I haven't really done any research on it. Any thoughts?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Here's where it gets dead in the water. Audio quality of youtube streams makes them totally useless for playing at a gig. Interesting concept though.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    Here's where it gets dead in the water. Audio quality of youtube streams makes them totally useless for playing at a gig. Interesting concept though.
    When I say gig, I was talking about like house parties and stuff, where people are so drunk they don't really care, and the DJ is simply one step up from a laptop with iTunes running

Should've been more specific. You're right, you couldn't really use YouTube in a club setting. What about something other than YouTube though? Like a matching website devoted to this sort of thing, perhaps along the lines of Beatport, where you could stream the full song, and then have an option to buy it? Idk, I'm just kinda spitting out stuff as it comes to me.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Algoriddim djay's latest feature is cloud streaming (from iTunes/icloud I guess), its pretty much exactly what you are talking about and would be in high quality if thats the case.

it was mentioned alongside the unveiling of the iDjay pro although they also mentioned the drawbacks being that the cloud is just "not there yet".

The problem with the cloud IMHO as a whole is always bandwidth quality and reliability :-S ... unless its a dedicated leased line you would most likely experience slowdowns at some point and most likely need a 8+ meg uncontended connection in order to stream reliably 100% of the time, even youtube can't do that right now.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Its also illegal to use iTunes, Spotify etc tracks for public performance so dont be expecting NI to make this easily done within Traktor.

NI have zero interest in such features that may land them in hot water with copyright issues.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

From the way the Numark guy was talking it looks like the plan is to overcome the space limitation on an iPad.

e.g. you have an iCloud account (with iTunes music on it)

You don't have EVERY track loaded onto the iPad itself, but need to get it because the birthday boy / girl / person in coffin requests it.

You can connect to your account and stream it to the iPad - you would still need to buy the actual track - probably from iTunes (adding to your iCloud acc).

I think utilizing youtube/spotify etc ... would be pretty nasty sound wise and don't think ANY application manufacturer would want to be tied up with crap sounding software for any reason - the cloud is a viable option but not "music for free".

Tech Wizard

i don't personally have a smartphone, but you could probably play a track on youtube on your smartphone and run it through your mixer. thats if your not looking for sound quality.

Why not just quickly go to beatport etc and download the track you want while you wait. Then play the mp3 like normal? (assuming they have wifi at this party)
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

If you wanna play youtube in your sets you could using audio routing software to route the audio into a deck into *insert your fav music software here*, theres nothing stopping anyone doing this with off the shelf software thats currently available so i hardly think its a get rich quick scheme.

I dont see why its not a feature that could be put natively into a piece of dj software, theres nothing illegal about putting it in there, just some use of it could be seen as illeagle.... that said i can think of a billion features i would prefer to see them work on before this

I think there is some work going on in this area. Google "dj song request app" Even Itunes has a remote app for requests, but thats on a private network.

Ideally:
    * Users could give real time ratings of a current set or track
    * Users could make requests
    * Users get past and future playlist
    * Users could get links to songs (like Shazam/Soundcloud, but exact track is pushed)

*DJ gets user feedback
    *DJ gets ptr to requested track (download link if not present in collection)
    *various knobs/controls/settings for the above..
    *some cross promotional marketing? ads?

What am I missing? My friends and I have been discussing doing this, but my hands are full with one successful startup at the moment..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast