Pro Sound advice Help - Upgrading Studio Monitors - Current(KRK Rkt 8's)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Pro Sound advice Help - Upgrading Studio Monitors - Current(KRK Rkt 8's)

Hey What's Up Guys,

Reaching out to get some input from you guy's on a pair of new monitors for my studio. Currently playing on KRK Rokit 8's. I think they're decent, been using them for a couple years now but think there are cleaner sounding & more true monitor options out there. My studio is acoustically treated with acoustic panels, and bass traps on the ceiling. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Mackie HR624MK2?

HR824 mk2?
    Last edited by Sam_S; 01-24-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Tech Mentor

Don't get mackie's. Adam audio, Dynaudio, Yamaha (NS 10m's), High end Tannoy's, Event opals (but they're pretty pricey), anything made in germany/ europe tends to be pretty decent. I'm Running Dynaudio BM5A's and a KRK 10s Sub to take care of the low end so my Dyn's don't distort at high SPL's. If you've got your room treated your best bet is buying quality so you don't have to buy again. mackie's are a joke in the recording industry and in all honesty so are KRK's. KRK's tend to be quite bass heavy which leads to a bass light mix. you're best off I reckon with Adam A5's or Dynaudio BM5A's they'll last you forever if you take care of them and if you wanna sell them eventually they'll keep their resale value unlike KRK's.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Guru

Check out Genelec Monitors...Yamaha NS10 for mixing an the Yamaha HS80M series or smaller HS5M are also nice Adam speakers are also good
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

What is your budget?

Got a Pair of M-Audio CX8s myself, sound beautiful imo
    But brands like Adam and Dynaudio make monitors that even sound significantly better. But then prepare to pay a lot more as well...
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Near fields? Ns-10m and a good, clean amp if you can find them. The new, powered versions are not the same speaker. Other than that, genelecs are good but pricey.

I don't have any experience with non-bedroom stuff other than ns10ms, genelecs, and and ausperger mains.

And know what ns-10ms look like...I've seen people sell them on Craigslist for like $150/pr because they didn't know what they were.

Tech Guru

what sort of music are you playing. Im guessing ur also producing aswell. The krks are awesome for listening to music on. you can here a bit a colouring when producing music. I would not replace them id add to them. get some mid range monitors to go with your near fields. It always good to have a few sets of speakers to listen to your tracks on. pioneer do some good mid fields for around 800. cut go wrong with the korgs swell

Tech Wizard

This set of monitors will be used only for DJing On. I have used them, for minor production, but plan to invest and have a dedicated pair like (NS-10's) JUST for production and listening.

I thought the KRK's 8's were decent monitors for DJing up until, I treated my room acoustically. Now, I see that they are inaccurate, and don't have tight bass response. All in all, I want true sound, more accurate sound, and response. Is it over-kill to upgrade to a better monitor for DJ only use?

In the mean time, have taken into the account of what guy's have replied, and crossed the Mackie's off the list. Thanks for that! Currently browsing local craigslist for some of the other options recommended.

Tech Wizard

Now I'm even thinking live PA. Like a small JBL, or qvc.

Input?

Tech Mentor

LOL!!.... Think you meant QSC.. QVC is a home shopping channel stateside....

For DJing I think your on overkill. But... If you've got the money to throw I personally like the 3 way Genelecs....

http://www.genelecusa.com/products/3...onitors/1038b/

If you're just DJing and investing in real monitors for production later…my recommendations change.

I like KRKs for DJing, but I definitely understand what you're saying. They're not monitors. I kind of like that better at this point (especially considering how cheap they are) and know mine decently well, but……if you want something closer to monitors without going all out, go to a guitar center–if you can–or anywhere else that's local with a good return policy and see if you can just try some in your room.

There's not a hands-down winner in the "bookshelf speaker masquerading as budget studio monitor" range IMHO, but they do all sound a bit different. If that's your purpose, try the Mackies. And the higher-end KRKs. And the Yamahas. And the JBL, Adam, Event, Tanoy, and anything else they have.

When you find a pair that sounds the way you want them to, just keep them.

And PA speakers are not what you want…they're too loud for a normal room and sound like shit. They're made to be loud and colored and will likely sound like garbage in a tuned room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast