Legal Disc Jockey What? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

BTW ..

Pretty sure that "Piece of Paper" refers to radio station plays, where they keep track of playlists for royalty purposes not nightclubs or live dj's.

Although I seem to remember someone here needs to hand in a playlist every night due to the laws in that country (Europe somewhere).

I know back home there are agencies that collect money from venues based on the approx # of people that attend / sq ft etc for live acts/dj's etc ...

But Radio's need to have playlists and pay based on them.

Tech Guru

just to throw a spanner in the works its actually illegal to copy a cd to your computer. but you can copy a cd to a single cd for a personal backup.

you can also make an analog copy. So that means you could make a single copy of your timecode cd to vinyl or a cassette tape if you so please.

who is up for doing with cassettes

Inst that a grey area of British Law?

I seem to remember some bottom feeder company selling licenses for this, so you could copy 1000 copies of physical media onto digital and play that digital copy out live.

It doesnt apply to digital bought files, and you are allowed to back up physical media to digial lawfully, but not for public performance.

I remember walking past their booth last BPM. It was the only booth with no customers and a full bowl of sweets. lol.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

If you look at any of your CDs or Records you will find a paragraph about copyrights that will include a sentence like "public performance is strictly prohibited". You can also find this sentence or some variation of it in the terms & conditions of any download store, be it itunes, beatport or else, which is what freaked you out in the first place, I guess.

This is due to the fact that there are different scopes of copyright (e.g. duplication, public performance, etc.). When purchasing a track you do not aquire any of the rights mentioned above.

So in order to publicly perform a track the corresponding right has to be bought.

This is none of your business as a DJ but lies within the accountability of the venue/promoter.

This is btw. the reason why mix-hosting on mixcloud is legal whereas on soundcloud it is at least a grey area, as mixcloud actually pays royalties/fees to copyright organisations and soundcloud doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12