Soundcard and usb hub..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Soundcard and usb hub..

The last two things i need for my setup.

Im looking for some suggestions really. I have seen the behringer UCA202. What you reckon to this? I don't want to spend much as i didnt buget for this as i have a toneport ux2 but i dint realise it only had 2 pyshical outputs but they both can only output the 1 signal.

http://www.djstore.com/item/soundcards/behuca202.htm

Also, i have no clue on USB hubs, any suggestions?

Thanks guys

Is the hub absolutely necessary? It will add to your overall latency when performing.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

I think so. A the mo i have my stealth control and external hard drive plugged in. I will also need one for my soundcard and for my oxygen 8v2 as i want to incoorporate it but controlling the cues among other things when i play a round. This makes 4 connections, unfortunately i only have 3.

do not. i repeat do NOT put your soundcard on a USB hub. hell don't put any DJ equipment on a usb hub.

get a PCMCIA or Express Card USB breakout card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0PCMCIA%20Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20ExpressCard

They have them with 4 USB ports. They work great.

Your latencies are going to be terribly annoying on a hub.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

There's a lot of voodoo around using USB hubs, and the main reason seems to be that not all hubs are made the same. Many hubs pull down all peripherals to the slowest common speed and your controller usually works at USB 1.0 speeds, meaning your harddrive will be crawling along, sharing it's bandwidth with the other devices.

We've been looking into this and it seems those in the know are recommending "Multi TT" Hubs, USB hubs that have chipsets inside them that specifically handle many devices working at different speeds, giving each one the maximum possible bandwidth to the host for each device. e.g. this one

http://www.cooldrives.com/7usb20muttul.html

That's the theory, but being the maniacs we are we won't accept that as gospel until we at DJTT have done testing of our own to verify these claims in a working DJ situation. Anyone care to do a review? Get in touch with DJTT if you are interested in helping us get a definitive answer to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    There's a lot of voodoo around using USB hubs, and the main reason seems to be that not all hubs are made the same. Many hubs pull down all peripherals to the slowest common speed and your controller usually works at USB 1.0 speeds, meaning your harddrive will be crawling along, sharing it's bandwidth with the other devices.

We've been looking into this and it seems those in the know are recommending "Multi TT" Hubs, USB hubs that have chipsets inside them that specifically handle many devices working at different speeds, giving each one the maximum possible bandwidth to the host for each device. e.g. this one
    That's the theory, but being the maniacs we are we won't accept that as gospel until we at DJTT have done testing of our own to verify these claims in a working DJ situation. Anyone care to do a review? Get in touch with DJTT if you are interested in helping us get a definitive answer to this problem.
    I just ran into this problem with my macbook it only has 2 usb ports and its currently being used by my vci & Audio 8. I would def be upto doing a article on hubs.
    Last edited by JesC; 04-09-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

The hub above is a good choice. I use that same one and have no issues at all. just to mention - I do hook my sound card direct to machine. Controller runs through hub.

If you can afford a sound card that has midi in-out this will allow you to hook up your oxy8. Just power the controller and you will be set.

Tech Guru

I currently am running my VCI-100 and my nanopad off of a cheap 4 port usb hub from radioshack, have my DJIO running throught my macbooks other usb port. I get minimal latency with this setup (I can't notice a difference), but this may be due to VCI and nanopad both being pretty good devices as far as it goes, also latency is less of an issue due to quantize.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

I ended up buying that soundcard. Ive been trying it out for a few days but im still unable to monitor cue my tracks. I downloaded asio4all and i can use my line 6 toneport ux2 and the uca202 together, one for monitor and one for the actual output. I thought this wouldnt have to be the case though as it quite unstable. Could someone take a look at the soundcard and tell me if i can cue with it. It has 2 outputs aparently so surely i should be able to. Its the same with the toneport, it doing my head in!

Thanks for any help.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    I would def be upto doing a article on hubs.
    I think this is a great idea for an article. Maybe take in some member experciences good and bad.
    Im inclined to believe in what RSDJMoniker said , im distrustful of hubs but as Fatlimey says there is a lot of voodoo about them. Some people have had good results but only with certain brands.

I think a good Hub article would be priceless. The only hub ive used was rubbish.

I feel another DJTTs Classic Article in the offing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast