Itch- Some real competition?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Itch- Some real competition?

Haha, Hi guys

With the latest improvements to itch, it's looking more and more appealing compared to Traktor Pro 2

Serato Video is going to be a heck of a hit, and the integrated sample player control with cue buttons looks even cooler.

Is it just me, or is itch really making an attractive turn as of now?

Only thing is the way traktor handles loops as cue points on my S4, during sets i can just jump straight to them, as well as the effects on Traktor.

I think i'm starting to miss my Ns6.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mart21har View Post
    Is it just me, or is itch really making an attractive turn as of now?
    Don't forget flexible beatgrids and in-flight warping!

itch has awlays been a good piece of s/w but on DJTT traktor seems to have more traktor users.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    itch has awlays been a good piece of s/w but on DJTT traktor seems to have more traktor users.
    That's an obvious given. DJ Tech Tools is all about customization, Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software that allows for extensive customization and across the board compatibility with custom hardware. Why the heck would Serato solutions really be all that popular on DJTT when Serato's approach is a integrated hardware + software solution? Pretty much a given.

Quote Originally Posted by dookiex View Post
    Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software
    To say traktor is on the only good heavy duty s/w is a real closed minded statement
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

That's an obvious given. DJ Tech Tools is all about customization, Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software that allows for extensive customization and across the board compatibility with custom hardware. Why the heck would Serato solutions really be all that popular on DJTT when Serato's approach is a integrated hardware + software solution? Pretty much a given.
    That's why i bought my S4. I wanted it to all be fully plug'n'play. I don't want to mess with stuff that doesn't just work 100% of the time. Reliability is what i'm after since DJ'ing is my job.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    To say traktor is on the only good heavy duty s/w is a real closed minded statement
    I honestly can't think of another dedicated DJ software package that has comparable features, versatility (particularly in regards to midi mapping), and freedom with hardware that TP provides without going the whole hog Ableton style DAW route.

I honestly can't think of another dedicated DJ software package that has comparable features, versatility (particularly in regards to midi mapping), and freedom with hardware that TP provides without going the whole hog Ableton style DAW route.
    VDJ allows for more customization and cunning tricks via it's xml maps from what i've seen compared with traktor. it has built in scripting and i've seen people even implement twitch style slicers etc - so traktor doesn't win there for sure.

djdecks supports very flexible xml and also embedded scripts too - which is being merged into VDJ in some way for the next release afaik.

mixxx supports embedded javascript (i think?) scripting so lets u do way more without 3rd party software (like my midimasher) which will be more and more useful over time as they add/improve features.

haven't looked in detail into torq 2 so not sure there - but it does have an open XML format for it's config which should be a hell of a lot easier to edit than being forced into using the NI controller manager - just not sure what u can and can't do with it.

the main advantage i think of traktor over most others are the awesome effects that are available - but to say it's the most versatile for mapping is def not correct imho - and i own/use traktor btw and am not intending to switch any time soon - so i'm def not biased against traktor - far from it.

edit: djdecks even has support in it's xml maps for HID devices (http://djdecks.be/index.php?module=d...p=midi_xml.php) wish traktor would do that (and i don't mean just for their own private HID for format ofc) and pcdj (http://www.pcdj.com/index.php/dex/dex_scripting/) has a full scripting language built in for automating/triggering stuff

so with regards to midi+scripting, in many ways traktor is one of the weakest of the bunch. itch doesn't have this kind of customisation but that's a conscious choice ofc.
    Last edited by zestoi; 01-25-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    VDJ allows for more customization and cunning tricks via it's xml maps from what i've seen compared with traktor. it has built in scripting and i've seen people even implement twitch style slicers etc - so traktor doesn't win there for sure.

djdecks supports very flexible xml and also embedded scripts too - which is being merged into VDJ in some way for the next release afaik.

mixxx supports embedded javascript (i think?) scripting so lets u do way more without 3rd party software (like my midimasher) which will be more and more useful over time as they add/improve features.

haven't looked in detail into torq 2 so not sure there - but it does have an open XML format for it's config which should be a hell of a lot easier to edit than being forced into using the NI controller manager - just not sure what u can and can't do with it.

the main advantage i think of traktor over most others are the awesome effects that are available - but to say it's the most versatile for mapping is def not correct imho - and i own/use traktor btw and am not intending to switch any time soon - so i'm def not biased against traktor - far from it.

edit: djdecks even has support in it's xml maps for HID devices (http://djdecks.be/index.php?module=d...p=midi_xml.php) wish traktor would do that (and i don't mean just for their own private HID for format ofc) and pcdj (http://www.pcdj.com/index.php/dex/dex_scripting/) has a full scripting language built in for automating/triggering stuff

so with regards to midi+scripting, in many ways traktor is one of the weakest of the bunch. itch doesn't have this kind of customisation but that's a conscious choice ofc.
    I don't think you understood my point. The things you've pointed out are mostly in regards to flexibility with customization but they come at the cost of complexity. I don't feel that VDJ, Mixx, and DJD are comparable from the full package perspective.

Yes, you have the flexibility for scripting but the problem with that is that one seriously needs to get even deeper and dirtier with them then they had to do even with Traktor (and let's face it, Traktor is nowhere considered a cakewalk to MIDI map, but at least one did not have to go into full blown coder territory). Basically, I don't feel that they are more powerful, what I felt like they did with VDJ, Mixx, and DJD was that they did not make mapping proprietary. It's like trying to win the argument that Linux is better than OSX or Windows while ignoring the fact that Linux has the major prohibitive nature of being inaccessible to most people.

Lastly, let's not forget that Traktor Pro 2.5 is right around the corner and is going to have it's own bag of tricks...

I don't think you understood my point. The things you've pointed out are mostly in regards to flexibility with customization but they come at the cost of complexity. I don't feel that VDJ, Mixx, and DJD are comparable from the full package perspective.
    true - tho traktor's control manager is no walk in the park either... but i agree it easy for simple stuff.

Lastly, let's not forget that Traktor Pro 2.5 is right around the corner and is going to have it's own bag of tricks...
    indeed i can't wait for 2.5 to come out... just hoping it's a free upgrade, but no biggie if it's not - so long as not too expensive. i can't wait to start mapping the new sample deck stuff...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast