Xone dx or 4trak for mixing?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Xone dx or 4trak for mixing?

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask you for advice about which controller to buy.

I'm kind of new to digital DJing, so I'm not really sure about which controller to buy. I really like mixing rather than scratching and I'm used to high quality equipment, so I don't really want to buy "a toy" instead of a rugged controller.

I was considering the xd and the 4trax because they seem to be built to last forever - they've got almost no plastic in their construction and DO have high quality components. I personally don't like the mc-6000 not only for being plastic but also for not having a good soundcard. As far as I've read the pionners have also quality issues, which I really don't like.

Another option could be the S4, I've heard good comments about it, but I don't really know if it REALLY suits me.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

There's a $500 difference in the price ....

The DX is a really REALLY nice piece of kit, with build quality on Par with a Xone42, and if your budget was $700 i'd say not much better out there, but given your budgeting $1000 - 1200 you could try to pick up a 4D which seems to be hitting the same price point these days (according to other members) as the 4trak.

Benefit wise its got a Traktor certified sound card as well a gorgeous fully analogue mixer and lots more knobs / faders etc for control in a smaller package than the 4Trak

Tech Mentor

How important are the platters to you? What about portability?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Benefit wise its got a Traktor certified sound card as well a gorgeous fully analogue mixer and lots more knobs / faders etc for control in a smaller package than the 4Trak
    The Xone 4D does?

I just asked this in another thread.... it virtually a Xone 92 with two 1D's on either side, right?
    Xone DX, SE-DJ5000, Itch
    http://soundcloud.com/eizhauz

Tech Convert

I don't care about portability since I'm not a mobile DJ.

Platters are not THAT important to me -meaning that scratching is not my main tool for DJing, but I really like to put some decent scratches into my set.

My budget? Hmm... Well I can afford a $1200 controller, but I cannot pay more than that for one of those.

Tech Convert

Sorry for the double post, but where can you get a 4d for $1200? The most inexpensive price I've seen for it is $2200, which is definitely out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Best99 View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but where can you get a 4d for $1200? The most inexpensive price I've seen for it is $2200, which is definitely out of my budget.
    craigslist? man check second hand, definitely a good idea for your budget, just remember to check it out first!

Tech Convert

I see...

I thought you guys were talking about a brand new one!

What about if I want to buy a NEW controller?
    Last edited by Best99; 01-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Best99 View Post
    I see...

I thought you guys were talking about a brand new one!

What about if I want to buy a NEW controller?
    Note, first of all, that the Xone DX is a midi controller with a soundcard, not a mixer, so you're mixing internally with that.

If you buy used, assuming you check it out to make sure it works, you will get a much nicer mixer. I mean hell, we're talking about an Allen & Heath Xone vs. a NUMARK MIXER. Let's be serious here.

The 4d is similar to a Xone:92 but has 3 bands eq instead of 4. Still has the great filters and sound quality, and is Traktor Scratch Certified, which is quite handy. Nevermind the fact that it's actually been around for a few years so most of the bugs have been worked out. The only real advantage I see in the Numark is the jog wheels. Having had an S4, I'll say that it's definitely nice to have high resolution jogwheels, but it really depends on your workflow as to how valuable that is to you. Plus, I'd much rather use DVS than midi jogs anyway, which makes the 4d a better option in my eyes.

Another thing to consider, though it will leave you without transport control (no jogwheels, though you could easily use DVS) is a DJM 900. I'm not sure how much they regularly go for, but I saw one on craigslist locally for about $1350 (posted price) recently. It may not tickle your fancy but it is a solid option in that price range, ableit without transport controls (though you can midi map the entire mixer, just about). Currently I'm running a DJM900, an x1, a midi fighter, and two Technics 1200s and it's my favorite setup thus far easily. I previously had an s4, as I mentioned earlier, and while that was a good controller, I found internal mixing mode to just sound thin and lack clarity. Now, a DJM900 and two TTs will cost you around 2 grand, even used... so this may not be realistic. But, it's something to consider, especially if you find good deals on the equipment and have the patience to do so.

I've also seen used DJM 800s go for about a grand. If you don't have a soundcard then it'll probably come out pretty close to the 900 in price with the card though.

Alternatively, just as another option, I do have a used Mackie d.4 Pro which I'm looking to sell for around $600 shipped w/in the lower 48. Traktor Scratch Certified firewire soundcard which is actually a more useful card than the DJM900 card, 2 analogue filters, and a send-return bus. With the money you have left over you could buy a used pair of Techs or possibly CDJ 800s. I know it's cheesy to advertise in a thread like this, but it seems like it could be a good possibility for you given your budget. PM me if you're interested.
    Last edited by keeb; 01-26-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Tech Convert

I thought the 4trak was a controller that could act as a standalone mixer too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast