is the VCI 100 the best controller in its price range?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default is the VCI 100 the best controller in its price range?

Hi, im looking for a midi controller for traktor, but i want to know if it is the best controller for its price, or if there are better alternatives to it...
    ive seen stuff like this..
    http://djtechpro.com/product_detail....product_id=246

Hmmm how straange looks like the VCI but plastic ... i know which one i would buy!

To be honest ive ony used the vci but i can say it is a nice piece of kit. It definately has a good feel to it and doesnt feel cheap like i thought it may feel. Its a nice piece of kit to use.

I'm pretty sure you will hear the same from all the other very satisfied customers on here.

Plus we've got our own personal guru on this site thats working his frikkin arse off making better and better mappings all the time ... (Many Thanks Ean) and squeezing as much out of it as humanly possible. If you get anythin else you'd be on your own, not that that would be a bad thing as you may be able to create something as good if not better.

I think one of the main things that ive read is the feel of the vci compared to the rest of the controllers out there, as they all do look pretty plasticcy init!?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Convert

ok, and lets say that i buy it.. will it work fine without any modification? firmware upgrade? whats wrong with the original vci100 machine?

If you buy one now you should get one with 1.2 thats what i'm running.

1.3 FW will fix a bug in the old FW that menas there is a bit of perculiar activity where it appears that two buttons are giving out the same note. This isnt really a problem when it comes to using the vci and something you probably won't even notice until you start looking at the more advanced tsis that people are making on here.

The major reason for FW1.3 is the fact that it creates double noted ( i think ) on a few of the knobs to improve effects control.

Soon to be 1.4 though and who knows what this is going to do for us vci pilgrims
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Wizard

For the price range of the I-Mix Reload, I'd look at the Hercules Steel or the Numark Stealth.

I have the Hercules RMX and am every bit happy with it. The ONLY two downsides I've seen with it and this has been noted in other threads are the hard to press buttons, have had it for about 3 months and they've worn down minimally using it about 2 hours a day. The second being not all the buttons have LED's sadly which from what I read was not included due to power consumption issues.

Can't comment on the Stealth as I haven't used it and my local guitar center doesn't have it on demo either...

i was on the edge between hercules rmx and numark omni control because they both were about same price and had sound cards. i was this close to getting an omni control because over the rmx i heard it had a better sound card. i only looked at the vci-100 because i knew it was superior but because it was more $$ and had no soundcard i shot it down (i was trying to stay w/in a budget). however i still searched on ebay for vci to see what would pop up and found one at a decent priced and watched it for awhile. i ended up closing @ $270 on the vci-100. i also got a numark dj i/o new for $40 and now im set. the reason im glad i got it is because its well built and has alot of room to grow w/ FW upgrades and midi mapping. at first i thought no built in sound card was a drawback but i actually like it now because it gives me the op to upgrade later to a better sound card if i want to.
    Last edited by advantix00; 04-10-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Tech Wizard

[QUOTE=hunger;42087]For the price range of the I-Mix Reload, I'd look at the Hercules Steel or the Numark Stealth. QUOTE]

I agree. The good thing of the I-Mix Reload is the jog wheel only, the other parts are not good as well. There is one big problem on the I-Mix Reload for me is not allowing you to press more than 2 buttons to function at the same time. For example, if you want to press H/M/L kill button or activate 3 chained fx at the same time, it is impossible.

Tech Mentor

I would rather look into Reloop's VCI clones (over Numark or I-Mix) if you want something cheaper than VCI. They make pretty decent decks at least.

Tech Convert

I'm just getting started and learning. I went with the Omni Control, after struggling to find and still trying trying to develop a decent mapping for it, I wish I would have just went with the VCI. Learn from me just spend the dough you'll be happier in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by gybp View Post
    ok, and lets say that i buy it.. will it work fine without any modification? firmware upgrade? whats wrong with the original vci100 machine?
    My VCI-100 is an original and it works fine for me. However I use it mainly with Ableton and/or Numarks Virtual Vinyl
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast