Matching speakers with amps. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

If you have that much $ to spend I would rock a set of Mackie Thump 15" top cabs and a pair of the 18" powered Subs. I use the PV15 single cabs, they sound good but I wasn't that impressed. I did a club with 6 single 15s around the room and a couple of folded horns. The owner was on a budget. I had purchased 8 but ended up using 6 so I kept two for my own rig. I sold them and up graded to the Thump powered cabs (plus put in RCF 15" drivers). The cabs with the stock speakers sound good, if you cross over the sub and take out the bottom end on the top cabs you can get nice and loud. Plus it is easily transportable and probably the best bang for the buck. After a year of abuse I upgraded to better RCF drivers and it gave the sound a little more warmth and punch, can't complain at all tho..

No to mention you would want to get a cross over, those passives are not the best and don't allow for any tuning. EQ will only do so much, I used a BBE DSP unit with multiple Crown CE amps with the install I did, I was able to tune the room and dial the cabs in to sound better then normal..
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 8, Vestax VCM-600, Technics 1210 MK5 (2), Audio8DJ, Vintage Urei 1620 Rotary Mixer, Bozak CMA-10-2DL Custom Mixer, Kontrol X1 (2), Pioneer EFX-500, Facebook www.DJJasonPaul.com

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
    If you have that much $ to spend I would rock a set of Mackie Thump 15" top cabs and a pair of the 18" powered Subs. I use the PV15 single cabs, they sound good but I wasn't that impressed. I did a club with 6 single 15s around the room and a couple of folded horns. The owner was on a budget. I had purchased 8 but ended up using 6 so I kept two for my own rig. I sold them and up graded to the Thump powered cabs (plus put in RCF 15" drivers). The cabs with the stock speakers sound good, if you cross over the sub and take out the bottom end on the top cabs you can get nice and loud. Plus it is easily transportable and probably the best bang for the buck. After a year of abuse I upgraded to better RCF drivers and it gave the sound a little more warmth and punch, can't complain at all tho..

No to mention you would want to get a cross over, those passives are not the best and don't allow for any tuning. EQ will only do so much, I used a BBE DSP unit with multiple Crown CE amps with the install I did, I was able to tune the room and dial the cabs in to sound better then normal..
    I was just gonna recommend the Mackie Thumps. I did a gig last night and my friend brought his for it. I was almost convinced there was a sub somewhere in the room, they were impressive.

Funny how I recommended the active sub. One of my crappy 10" speakers died today, so I kinda splurged and got a replacement and a 12" Gemini active sub to boot. Guess it's time to throw that party I've been thinking about...
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Student

Well I have decided on the 15" Mackie Thumps (everyone loves them, must be for a reason) as the mains.

JasonPaul, were you talking about the Mackie SRM1801 18in 1000W Subs or just 18" powered subs in general? The reason I ask is poorish reviews on Musiciansfriend. People say they "just die" on them? Do you have any experience with them?

Again, thank you everyone for the replies this is a big help.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kringstad View Post
    Well I have decided on the 15" Mackie Thumps (everyone loves them, must be for a reason) as the mains.

JasonPaul, were you talking about the Mackie SRM1801 18in 1000W Subs or just 18" powered subs in general? The reason I ask is poorish reviews on Musiciansfriend. People say they "just die" on them? Do you have any experience with them?

Again, thank you everyone for the replies this is a big help.
    Yes SRM1801, they are solid if you don't abuse them. I know some kids that crank them up all the way and then crank up their DJ mixers to +12db riding the red lights all night and end up blowing the sub. As long as you set it up right and play respectively you will have no issues. I beat on my pair of SRMs for over a year, when I say beat I mean pushed them to the limits of a clean signal all night long 4-6 hours per event (house music). I just replaced the drivers with RCF just to freshen them up, in the almost 1-1/2 years I used these stock I had zero issues.

My gain set up normally on mine is 3/4 sub and 5/8 tops with the 80Hz bass turned down quite a bit. Nice warm kick and clean sounding highs. Do not run your mixer in the clipping (red peak) area when feeding a powered system cranked up like the rest of the fools..

Also a little tip for plastic speaker owners, to get powered speakers to sound better use sound damping material. I used dynamat from old car audio installs I had left over. I lined the cabs with it which made them heavier a little but killed the resonance of the cabs and tightened the sound up. (cheap upgrades for better sound).
    Last edited by JasonPaul; 01-30-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 8, Vestax VCM-600, Technics 1210 MK5 (2), Audio8DJ, Vintage Urei 1620 Rotary Mixer, Bozak CMA-10-2DL Custom Mixer, Kontrol X1 (2), Pioneer EFX-500, Facebook www.DJJasonPaul.com

I would look into one of these for your processing. http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/d...-reva?sef=hcfp
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12