Some Technics 101 Questions
    Tech Guru

Default Some Technics 101 Questions

Quick background I started off on CDJs then went to Serato, then Traktor w/ timecode and now 2 - Kontrol X1s....I want some Technics now

So Im looking to buy used either off the used guitar center site or craigslist

- Whats a decent price range?
    - Whats the difference between all the technics models?
    - Which ones would you recommend?
    - Are repairs expensive? (can i find most part online?)
    - Once I get it what are some common problems to look out for?
    - How would I calibrate tone arm etc? (what are best settings)
    - What are some good needles? (just mixing, no scratching)
    - What are some good slipmats? (just mixing, no scratching)

Extra Information

I spin mostly House/Tech-House/Techno just incase theres different settings for turntablism/scratching and just regular mixing
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

This should be a start.

Repairs are not expensive if you do it yourself. If you are unable to do it yourself then it's obviously considerably expensive.

I would look for a deal on a pair of M3Ds then put a light kit on it and you pretty much have tables nicer looking that function the same as MK5s for cheaper. A very good price to pay for a pair of M3Ds would be $500. You may have to pay 600-700 which is still a good deal relatively. Expect to pay closer to 800 for a deal on a pair of MK5s. Forget M5gs, they are ugly and overpriced.

I have a few posts about what to look for you can search through them or I'll find them.

Tech Guru

ya i just searched up and pulled up some info about when another forum member asked you some questions that was very helpful
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

What Wikipedia won't tell you is that 17% of the global inventory of used Technics 1200/1210s are located in "South Florida" - wherever that is?
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    What Wikipedia won't tell you is that 17% of the global inventory of used Technics 1200/1210s are located in "South Florida" - wherever that is?
    Oh, hell yea

I'm set then

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    I think it's more likely that Xone has a Technics-attractor-field installed somewhere on his person.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by cybertrash View Post
    i think it's more likely that xone has a technics-attractor-field installed somewhere on his person.
    gold!

as for a recommeded model every model will do great. as i understand most people use MK2s or MK5Gs but due to their popularity they also sport the biggest price tags (up to 900€ a piece for a new one where i live). your best bet is to for a good used pair of either the MK2s or one of the the less popular models.

I have MK2s, and I'll say you're better off with the M3Ds to the point that I'd pay an extra $100 for a pair. $600 for a pair of MK2s is reasonable to good around where I am; I got mine for $500 for the pair but I did have to replace an RCA and a power cord for that. For calibrating the tonearm etc. look on youtube for videos by ellaskins and viperfrank - they have pretty good tutorials for that type of thing. For needles, especially if you're just using timecode, get some Shure M44-7 s or M44G s. They don't skip, have decent quality if you actually do play vinyl, and are fairly inexpensive as far as carts go. Slipmats... I have Dr Suzuki Mix Edition mats and some Butter Rugs. I like the Suzukis for getting the vinyl back to platter speed quickly, but they're almost a bit too sticky for my taste. The butter rugs are nice, but a bit insubstantial and the vinyl wobbles a bit with just them. I'm currently using both slipmats (a bit unorthodox) which I find is actually a pretty nice happy median. I've also heard good things about Table Cloths.

Common problems - this is a pretty comprehensive list: http://www.turntabletech.com/used.htm

Repair wise you can find pretty much any part online and it's usually pretty easy to do yourself as long as you can solder. Just watch out - the platter is about $100 to replace, the tonearm is about $50, and the FEET cost a total of $50. The small repairs can add up. That said, replacing an RCA cable could cost you about $10 to do and you could knock $50-100 off the price for it.

Oh, a little protip for you too: search craigslist for technics 1210 too; you can get a replacement power cord for $20 or so off of amazon and since not many people search for 1210s, you can sometimes get a pretty damn good deal. My 1210 was missing a counterweight and I got the guy to give it to me for $200 (from $250 originally). So at $250 after the counterweight and power cable were replaced I was pretty happy with it.
    Last edited by keeb; 02-04-2012 at 10:33 PM.