CDJ's....What should i do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default CDJ's....What should i do?

I need a little help here guys. I currently have 2 cdj-400s that im running in HID mode in traktor pro 2 along a kontrol x1 and a xone 42 mixer. I have no soundcard, just running the cdjs in aggregate mode.

I absolutely love the setup but would really like the next step up in quality when it comes to the jogs. However, the cdj-850s, 900s and 2000s are all too pricey for me.

I have come across a pair of cdj-1000 mk3s gently used in road cases. I can probably pick up the pair for a little under $1000....I have no idea if this is a good deal or not.... But what will be my main differences if i were to run these cdj's in traktor scratch pro with timecodes vs. my current setup (cdj-400s in HID mode in traktor pro 2).

Any and all suggestions are welcome....thanks in advance!
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Honestly you will probably hate using timecode, versus HID mode with traktor.

I had 400s (just sold them) and am getting 900s. The accuracy and the cueing is just spot on with 400s in HID mode. With time code its spotty and can be annoying.

I mean in terms of hardware itself. I honestly wouldn't upgrade unless I was getting 1000 mk3 or 800 mk2. So at the very least you get mp3 capable cdjs. But I probably wouldn't do it unless they were 1000s mk3, and even then I can't not have thumb drive capable players, thats me though.

why don't you use your cdj 400's with timecode to see what the response is like, and what features you will miss out on using timecode vs hid
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

i say get the cdj 1000's they r great cdj's

Tech Mentor

i wouldn't do it, not unless you where getting 900s. yeah the jogs on the 1000s should be alot better than the 400s but i wouldn't say that its worth loosing HID mode.

depending on how good of a salesman you are and your market, you could buy the cdj's and flip em...

price for a cdj on my local craigslist is averaging at 750 (no cases)... might have to do 2 flips to get cdj-850's but i would definitely go hid/midi

man honestly get the cdj 850's u should be able to pick up a used pair on ebay or craigslist for just as cheap as the 1000's and use them in hid mode perfectly with traktor
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    why don't you use your cdj 400's with timecode to see what the response is like, and what features you will miss out on using timecode vs hid
    This isnt a bad idea but that menas i have to go get the time codes and scratch pro....Also, I am going to have to get one of the NI Sound cards right?? Dont want to go purchase all that to find out i dont like using the time codes...

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_V View Post
    depending on how good of a salesman you are and your market, you could buy the cdj's and flip em...

price for a cdj on my local craigslist is averaging at 750 (no cases)... might have to do 2 flips to get cdj-850's but i would definitely go hid/midi

if you must know i am actually a top notch salesman (pretty much my career). Basically purchased everything in my setup used for around 35-65% off retail...
    However, i see the cdj-1000s up on craigslist all the time and rarely ever see a 850,900 or 2000...

Quote Originally Posted by lucasmanning View Post
    man honestly get the cdj 850's u should be able to pick up a used pair on ebay or craigslist for just as cheap as the 1000's and use them in hid mode perfectly with traktor
    Ill look around and see what i can find....

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    Honestly you will probably hate using timecode, versus HID mode with traktor.
    I had 400s (just sold them) and am getting 900s. The accuracy and the cueing is just spot on with 400s in HID mode. With time code its spotty and can be annoying.
    Is this a common occurrence with the higher end cdjs?? I dont like to hear that the cues are delayed but then again i use my X1 for all my hotcues so if thats the only downside im facing that isnt really a problem...
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

I find it to be delayed. I don't think it really matters regardless of CDJ. I like tapping the cue sometimes to get into beat right before I drop, on time code it doesn't work as well, and sometimes I miss my drop by a beat, thus screwing up my phrasing just slightly.

I ended up finding 900s on CL for $1600. I just sold my 400s for about 900 bucks, so the cost to upgrade was welll welll worth it for me.

Tech Mentor

I thought that there were serious problems using CDJs as controllers with traktor and aggregating the sound cards (poor response or something). Surely if this was a good option it would be great to be able to use them in the club like that - although I know there is the issue of Traktor crashing when you unplug one of the CDJs used as a soundcard..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast