Advice for USB Hub
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice for USB Hub

Hi guys,

I would like some advice on a small USB hub for my Macbook Pro.

I am running traktor with the Audio8 DJ, Kontrol X1 and now I want to add Maschine but I dont have enough USB slots.

I have read that some hubs are not very good and loose power unless you use a AC Adaptor.

Could any of you advise me on a good one?

Cheers,

Chris

sure enough, click here
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrawles View Post
    Hi guys,

I would like some advice on a small USB hub for my Macbook Pro.

I am running traktor with the Audio8 DJ, Kontrol X1 and now I want to add Maschine but I dont have enough USB slots.

I have read that some hubs are not very good and loose power unless you use a AC Adaptor.

Could any of you advise me on a good one?

Cheers,

Chris
    Yeah with Maschine and the Audio 8 DJ you will need a powered hub for sure. I have the exact same setup and Maschine behaves funny or not at all when plugged into a hub with no power and obviously you are going to want the soundcard plugged straight into the Macbook USB port rather than a hub. I have a belkin 4 port hub. I struggled to find any ones that stood out as well built so just picked this up from PC World. Seems ok so far.

CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Maschine behaves funny or not at all when plugged into a hub with no power
    That has not been my experience. My crappy $4 un-powered 4-port hub from best buy would run Maschine, 2 X1s, and an LPD 8 just fine…off the low-power port (which also has the keyboard, trackpad, and iSight on it). I could replace any of them with my Audio 2 and it'd still work, but I used the high-power USB port on my MBP for it anyway.

I have no idea what all you people are doing with hubs, but I just don't get it. I haven't had anything give me any trouble except Cruzan flash drives.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

If it helps, Native Instruments have tested USB Hubs and recommend:

D-Link 4-Port Hub DUB-H4

I should also point out that I don't use USB for hard drives ever and avoid USB for sound cards if I can (apart from my old Audio 2 and my SL1, because I don't have a choice). I posted my tree in one of these threads.

Again…all of my controllers ran off one un-powered hub and the low-power port of my MBP. No problems at all.

Only thing I ever had an issue running on a hub were Xone: 1Ds

I had my DB4, Maschine, and 2X1s connected to a powered hub and I had the power cord unplugged for like a month before I realized it and didn't notice any performance issues running in unpowered mode.

I dunno I had an S4, soundcard, and midifighter, and the midifighter would never work unless I was using a powered one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast