Anyone build a hackintosh for music related stuff?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Anyone build a hackintosh for music related stuff?

I was debating building a new desktop since mine is older and meomory/cpu go through the roof if I have too many VSTs open or kits loaded into maschine and it doesn't even really make sense to dump any money into this thing.

I have no experience with building hackintoshes and it seems like they can be a pain in the ass but promising with good planning and buying the right parts there may not be any issues. Windows is also really starting to annoy me so the prospect of building a $5000 mac pro for $1000 is very appealing.

I just wonder would there be any particular issues with building a hackintosh for music related stuff? I mean I think the hardware restrictions would only apply to system components right? Once all the drivers work on the desktop could there be any unforseen issues with software, soundcards, midi controllers, and other basic studio devices?

Tech Mentor

I've been thinking about doing the same thing forever...

Yeah, I mean I'm sure there would probably be issues with really fancy studio hardware and audio interfaces but I'm just wondering for basic USB stuff. I saw some people even had apogee cards working but I wouldn't try it.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 01-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.

I think this topic is generally frowned upon here but I've looked into the same thing as well
    Some digging on google would get you started and the route you seem to want to go is much easier than a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    I think this topic is generally frowned upon here but I've looked into the same thing as well
    Some digging on google would get you started and the route you seem to want to go is much easier than a laptop.
    Someone sold a hackintosh in the BST forum along with many people selling jailbroken ipads here recently so I don't really see why talking about it in general terms would be an issue. I'm not really asking for guides how to do it and I would be buying osx anyway.

Basically I'm wondering about it from a music production perspective and what the pros/cons might be and any particular issues that might come up relating to music software and hardware.

Tech Mentor

Best thing to do is browse the forums for osx86. They have Wikis of all the hardware supported etc.

It is kinda of a pain to maintain at times, especially if you want to utilize updates. It can take a lot of trial and error to get that first install stable.

Tech Mentor

I have a friend who builds hackintosh to order.. it runs like a demon when using it for music. Running traktor would have no problems and he bench marked ableton will 100 channels on audio + 60 channels on massive no problems.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Mentor

will get the spec of the machine and message it to you if you are considering making one
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Guru

Basically your biggest concern if you aren't really good with computers is to have the right hardware....So your starting at the right time.

I did it with my a desktop I built for my girlfriend and bought a really rare video card so I had to go in and change a bunch of kext codes myself, not fun at all.

So bascially, if you can match up hardware with what the macs already have in it then it should be alot easier.

Otherwise use google and use templates of what other ppl have used hardware wise and just buy those pieces specifically...I mean down too the having 2 dvi ports on a type of video card vs. 1 vga and 1 dvi.

I'll look for old links that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by jamthrax View Post
    will get the spec of the machine and message it to you if you are considering making one
    Yeah that would be cool.

Is there like a database or forum somewhere that shows people's exact builds they used?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukks View Post
    Basically your biggest concern if you aren't really good with computers is to have the right hardware....So your starting at the right time.
    I would want to pick components known to work and if someone already built a system with the right specs that was easy to set up I would want to just duplicate it.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast